Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an exhaust housing problem. someone b4 i owned it, took of the manifold and every bolt is different that's right all 4 are different bolts and it leaks pretty bad. which kills the turbo. also my top right bolt is stripped out. i had it tapped but it got stripped out when it couldn't handle the torque it was supposed to. i need to get my turbo going again due to my recent loss to a camery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
www.mazdasouth.com They can order and ship for u if u cant get them. I had requested the same and these are the prices that they quoted me. This is a copy of the email that they sent back

The studs are $3.69 ea., nuts are $4.25 ea. The gasket is $8.99. valve cover bolts are $1.36 ea. They need to be ordered from Mazda before we get them in.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Rotor power said:

The studs are $3.69 ea., nuts are $4.25 ea. The gasket is $8.99. valve cover bolts are $1.36 ea. They need to be ordered from Mazda before we get them in.
Wow, talk about getting raped by the dealer. Do what I did. Get one of the studs, and one of the nuts, and go to a nut and bolt place. You could look in your yellow pages for one. Usually they only sell in bulk, most times I've gone in there I've gotten nuts and bolts for FREE. They're used to selling hundreds or thousands at a time, for construction and such. Or, you could go to home depot, they have all kinds of nuts and bolts. Napa sells studs.
ALWAYS use lock washers on the exhaust manifold nuts, btw, they'll rattle right off otherwise, I've had this happen, it wasn't fun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Be careful about just getting these from a Home Depot or such. These bolts are under a lot of stress and you need to make sure you get the right grade or else you'll be back in the same boat with broken studs before you know it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Not sure what the factory grade for these is, but grade 5 is pretty standard and grade 8 is even better than that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I hear you on the grade, that's why a nut and bolt place would be a lot better than home depot. But, home depot will get you by. They got me by for a long, long time with no problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well see my problem is worse than needed studs. it stems all the way to where the studs screw into the block. the threads in the block are stripped out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe there is a heli-coil kit that you can use otherwise you will have to bring it to a machine shop

·
Registered
433 Posts
titanium bolts

Well i had mine go on me too, but all up it cost me $150 dollars. This was for two days work, and titanium bolts. I donthink i'll have much of a problem with them [email protected] :smokin:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Unless those bolts strip out the head because of the softer aluminum. I would almost rather have the bolt go out on me. Not sure if this could happen or not, any opinions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts