Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figured why my 6 sounds like a John Deere Tractor, I had my mechanic check it out this morning and he told me that it's my Exhaust Manifold Gasket, and he could replace it, but he doesn't know how much, cuz he's not sure what all he has to pull off. But I trust the guy, and he won't over charge me like some other auto stores. Hopefully it'll be under 300 bucks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My '89 turbo has the same problem, leaks exhaust from the manifold gasket and makes a sick noise especially when cold. I have lost some amount of power because of the problem. I guess this is 'cos the turbo input side exhaust gasses are escaping out of the gasket.
The reason it can be expensive to fix is because the studs on the head usually break off and have to be drilled out. My local Mazda service centre quoted me $500 Australian dollars to replace the two gaskets.
I have found an exhaust shop who can take out my 11 year old Mazda exhaust and build me a complete custom 3" system and fix the gaskets for $1400. Needless to say thats the one I'm saving to do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really hope mine isn't that big of a hassle, cuz I don't have 500 bucks to spend on this, my mechanic is real good, so hopefully it won't be pricey. As soon as that crap get's fixed, where i work, i'll be making double soon, so I'll be able to rebuild my engine soon, and the first thing I get after that is a computer upgrade. some dude in a black 98 civic with bumps was dissin on mazda's and said that they all suck, and I said two letter's, one word, RX7, and he was like whatever, and dissed on my car, what a panzy ass.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The welding on my 6's exhaust is flaking off and needs replacing. I ordered a new muffler from Paeco for $300 (American dollars) and it's from the cat back. I'm also getting someone to bend me a new downpipe for another 300 b/c that's where it's flaking. I'm getting a whole new exhaust system for 600 manifold back, and it's 2.5 inch piping. 1400 sounds real expensive to me. Am I gonna wind up paying more than quoted?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I got my exhaust system, I purchased a new catalytic convertor ($150), $100 for my OBX racing muffler, doesn't sound like a dirt bike, but a good steady muffler sound, oh and loud, real loud when i downshift hehehehe $90 bucks for the 2.5" piping, and installation everything totaled to around 300-350 bucks, not too bad I don't think. One thing I didn't get installed was a Resonator, it helps to deafen the sound of people's exhaust, plus it was an extra 30-50 bucks. But other than that, it was a relatively cheap upgrade. Once my engine is rebuild, I'm going to redo my exhaust system with HKS parts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
$600 US dollars is $1181 Australian. The exhaust guy here told me he could do 2.5" turbo back for about $600 US so that is probably an ok price.
My '89 turbo also needs the exhaust manifold gaskets changed which involves taking the turbo off. So I'm getting this done and I'm getting 3" turbo back system for $712 US dollars. Thats $1400 Australian dollars. I dont think you should pay more that $600 US dollars for your system.

Hey Tony, don't let a Honda Civic owner bother you. Man the fact he is driving a car like that proves he is a looser. I hope you toasted his ass in a drag off - done deal.
RX8 evolve comes out later this year we are gonna be seeing some serious Mazda power !!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya man, I'll post how my work goes on my car. My buddy and I was at Shari's earlier, and saw a bunch of asian dudes walk in, and when we left, there was a bunch of tricked out cars outside. 300zx, accords, civics, integras, and an eclipse. Some hick was dissin on ricers, should have told him a thing or two...

I've got a substantial amount of engine oil all over my engine also, I think my head valve gasket is gone, damn, i wish I got my full time job now, so I could quickly get enough money for a complete engine rebuild....

·
Registered
405 Posts
carquest sells the manifold gasket for $25. they are the only ones i found that sell it other than the dealer. when i took my manifold off, none of the studs broke. as a matter of fact you dont even take the studs out. the manifold is held on there with nuts. back the nuts off and drop the down pipe and your in business. the collector is where i started breaking studs. i broke 2 out of three there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd like to do the work myself but dont think I'm up to the job. I dunno about taking the turbo off. I dont have the right tools and I need my 6 to drive 100 miles to work and back everyday. Nice lookin' 6 BTW smachan. I had mine lowered recently too and I like it much better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
gasket

Are yall seriously taking your car to a mechanic to get the exhaust maifold gaskets replaced? Just buy the gaskets and put them in yourself, its not all that hard, even if you break some of the studs, I broke 3 of the 6. You sould also buy new studs, even if they dont break on you. Spend the money you saved on custom exhaust, downpipe, etc. If yall have any questions Ill be glad to help you. Ive removed/installed my turbo 3 times, going for 4 in the summer when I drop in a T3/T4 turbo, later.
TIP: buy the factory gaskets, stay away from the cardboard/metal ones, like Fel-Pro. They will eventually blow out in a couple months, its happened to me 2X.

[Edited by Importheadmp89 on 04-16-2001 at 12:09 AM]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, turbo and exhaust manifold are not complicated to get off. I've done this many times, and I can give advice as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Okay you guys got me thinkin' I can do it myself. I've got a day off tomorrow so I'll spend all day working on it.I can get the genuine Mazda exhaust manifold gaskets from down the road. I have not tried this before so any tips would help. The radiators gotta come out to make space right ? do I need any special tools ?
Dom

·
Registered
375 Posts
If your removing the turbo & manifold, then yeah remove the radiator. Although you should be able to replace them with out removing the turbo completly, if you dont have any broken studs. Unbolt it from the head, unbolt it from the bottom of the turbo, and from the downpipe-3 bolts. Dont unscrew the pipe on the side, the one on the exhaust manifold that gos to the intake manifold, just bend it a little. Once unscrewed, its a pain to put back in. Other than regular tools, you should use a torque wrench to torque the manifold to the head, if I remember its 16-18 lbs ft. If you have any problems e-mail me, later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts