Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving my car the exhaust manifold glows red. Is this normal or what could be the problem

·
Registered
666 Posts
I dunno about the N/A, or what kind of car you have for that matter, but, it's normal for the turbo to glow cherry red. Mine does it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
how can u see it? dont you have a heat sheild covering it? i have heard of the turbo version glowing red. but the n/a i would get that checked out, never seen that on mine.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've had the heat shield off before, and I have a missing bolt, so, there's a hole there, you can see it glowing through the hole.
I'll never run without the heat shield again though, whoa...

·
Registered
405 Posts
you should put that bolt back in. i know on mine the holes go all the way into the piping. that may be causing you a leak. if you need a bolt to go in, i have a couple of extra.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
That's actually the exhaust housing of your turbo glowing, and yes it's normal. That's why you should let the car idle for a minute or so before you shut down after driving hard or for a long time.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've checked Smachan, and it doesn't go all the way through, but, thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Are yall sure it should glow red? I don't think so. You might want to check on that some more, my 1990 did that 1 time, I just got through running the dog sh!t out of it, and it was the only time I seen it doing that (it was at night time). They're not made to get that kind of heat, I would contact Mazda and ask them.

Let us know what you find out?

You may be running it too hard man.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine had always done it, old turbo and new turbo. I know it's getting oil and I know it's getting coolant.
I'll ask a Mazda technician here that I know and see what he says.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
All turbo cars will have their turbo and exhuast manifold glow red after a hard run. It's a by product of running from hot exhaust gases and heating them up even more.

N/A cars can have this happen to but is more rare. If you are getting alot of glow on an N/A manifold, chances are you are running lean causing a hotter mixture. Get that checked out...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well if it's not any of the above. Check out your catalytic converter. Sometimes it gets so plugged up with junk that your exhaust backs up, causing your exhaust manifold to get really REALLY HOT!!! Is your car acting up as well or is it just the exhaust manifold glowing. If your car is shaking, then most likely your converter needs to be changed. Master Muffler does a free inspection of the converter. Anyway Good luck finding the problem.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine glows red, and I gutted my cat.
I really think it just gets that hot normally.
Go run yours in the dark with the heat shield off so you can see, and then look at it. I bet it'll be glowing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I checked my exhaust manifold after a run tonight and it was glowing red too. My exhaust system leaks all over the place I'm saving up for a 3" system. I wonder if it will reduce the heat in the manifold.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep.. both my GT's turbos were a nice rosy red esp. after high turbine speeds from highway runs... less so with stop ad go.... after seeing it in the dark, it really makes you think (and take seriously) about the cooling period for the turb'... Personally, I have my cooling fan tripped on all the time to pass some air over it... it can take upwards of 5 minutes with the hood open to get it cool enough NOT to glow...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wonder about that coolin down period 'cos if I leave the engine running after a long drive the temp. gauge starts to creep up. I usually turn open the cabin heater (but not the fan motor) about 5 mins. away from shutting down. I dunno if this really helps drop the coolant temp. into the turbo.
Seeing the manifold glowing red was a suprise to me, no wonder my manifold gasket is blown.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts