Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new exhaust done yesterday. I installed a header a while ago as well. I have a 93 mx6 2.0 L, 4 cyl. It sounds like the exhaust is leaking where the header bolts up to the exhaust manifold. Has anyone else experienced this problem. It sounds like a ticking as I accelerate. I am almost positive it is an exhaust noise. Help!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
What brand of header do you have on the car??

How long ago was the exhaust put on( one day, just read that)? Does it tick after you stop and cut the car off? I guess they put a new gasket on the header to the exhaust pipe, right? Do youhave a cat.??

Ticking, what type of ticking, like a Honda exhaust sound or what??

[Edited by superflymx6 on 05-18-2001 at 03:33 PM]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a brospeed header with no cat. I got it put on yesterday. Yes, they used new gastkets. Ticking describes its frequency rather it's sound. It sounds like a little fan or something.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
jkirschs said:
It sounds like the exhaust is leaking where the header bolts up to the exhaust manifold.
you did what? where?

you mean where the header bolts up to the head? did you torque the bolts and the 2 nuts to the proper specs? do you still have a flex pipe? have you looked under the hood while opening the throttle?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no - I don't have a flex pipe - the brospeed header replaced all of that. The header goes to the collector pipe. there is no cat so then it is just bolted up to a pipe that goes all the way back to the muffler. the header is bolted to spec (20 ft lbs of torque) according to the chilton's manual. I also followed the instructions that came with the headers - "Bolt the headers to specs, turn the car on and let it warm up, allow header to cool and re tighten to specs". However, the gasket that goes in between the header and the head looks like it is rattling when the car is on. I don't want to overtighten anything though. I had them do 2.25 in. piping. Could it be possible that there is not enough back pressure?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
your muffler should be giving you enough back pressure to keep everything from overheating and keep it running smoothly.

you should look in the primaries and around the mating surface tor traces of exhaust gas. the fact that you ditched the flex pipe means every movement of your muffler and piping causes the header to flex. sometimes the primaries crack, sometimes you stretch the bolts.

i had a friend pop a new header on his avenger, no flex pipe. it cracked in 4 days...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts