Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Exhaust notes

988 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Oaksey 
#1 ·
Anyone know where i can dowload some vid's or mp3 files to hear gen 2 mx6's exhaust's in action (aftermarket ones that is)

Also, Is there a brand that is really very good? What diameter pipe is best, and finally - do you really need mandrel bending? (cos it is fairly expensive compared to regular stuff.)

Cheers!

#2 ·
if ya stick ur head out ur window, i'll go out and rev mine real hard...lol

i've got a HKS system, it has a brilliant note to it. when my bro heard it the the first time he thought a supra was comin. i dont have a baffle on mine. i only have 2 1/4 pipe cat back... mandrel one day (drooollll..)

apart from that, cant help ya with mp3's or vids.

#4 ·
ODIN said:
If I figure out how to, I'll record my exhaust on the weekend sometime. I have a 2.5 inch mandrel bent system.
ODIN, that wound be really good of you if you could. I am surprised how hard it is to get a hold of recordings. Also, ODIN, what sort of mufflers are in your system (eg straight through/ straight through with internal s bend) And finally, did you change your exhaust manifold or cat converter?

Also, to 2slick: what sort of mufflers do you have - straight through units or more spanky ones?

Cheers!

#5 ·
im in th pcoess also of getting a catback exhaust...and it would be great to know how differernt mufflers sound...

im after a SOFT LOW pitched purr...mainly cause i dont wanna drown out the sound of my turbo spooling and the subs pumping

any idea which mufflers give this SOFT LOW pitched purr with no distortion of tone at higher revs ???

#6 ·
ive got a 3" mandrel bent cat-back system installed on my mx6, with a 5" tip. the mufflers and the resonator are all straight-through. the tip makes a loud noise but it is too high-pitched for my liking.

im gonna get the pipes from the turbo installed soon as well as a better cat.

the best cat to get is one where the intake angle is minmal so the exhuast fumes can get in easily and not swirl about. also the cat with the biggest core surface area is the best cos it allows the most amount of fumes through.

#7 ·
is ur 5" tip a cannon?

cause the more i read, the more i notice that everyone that has got a 3" tip seems to make a nice low rumble...many people say that a 5" tip makes a loud sound..which im not after..but then again, im after a chrome tip, and i dont know if u can get that with a 3" muffler ??

#9 ·
Looks good mate. Nice and subtle, yet purposeful.

Curious as to what ur car looks like from underneath, specifically the mufflers (and the cat) - just to get an idea on dimensions etc. Also, what did you end up paying for your system?
Regs.

#13 ·
I got 2.5 inch from the cat back done in Stainless Steel with a straight through muffler, resonator and nice solid oval tip from Genie for $580, included a Dyno before and after.

I didn't want it too loud, I find it is a good balance. Many people have said unprompted how nice it sounds so I'm happy.

Sounded a bit nasty at 2500rpm when it just had a pipe while I was waiting for them to get the tip in stock but because I guess it has slightly more weight and is more solid it came out sounding nice in the end.

Extractors would have been $1200 and I'm not even sure if that is in stainless steel. So expensive because they had no design for them. A mate suggested I get some Probe extractors in from the US but I later read that they needed to be modified because of the right hand drive steering assembly, so it wouldn't be worth while.

I think it would be better to spend money on other things like CAI, cam regrind, new ECU etc. before even thinking about getting extractors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.