1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
192 Posts
if you look at the back of your original backbox, you will see the pipe you need to create to fill the gap, what you could do is take the two back boxes to powerflow, and say you need that section of pipe replicating, you should be able to do it without welding because when i bought my jspec there was the same thing your after on it, although what they had done is cut the pipe off the original box and clamped it to the new backbox and that way it still bolted up to the middle section. the only thing you need to check is that the length of ur new one and the distance of the old pipe are the same or similar.

ive got a mint orignal backbox lying around so if you want to cut yours up and have a go, if your not happy with it u can have the orignal one off me for like £20 because i have a full stainless setup.

To be honest though going full stainless is the best bet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you look at the back of your original backbox, you will see the pipe you need to create to fill the gap, what you could do is take the two back boxes to powerflow, and say you need that section of pipe replicating, you should be able to do it without welding because when i bought my jspec there was the same thing your after on it, although what they had done is cut the pipe off the original box and clamped it to the new backbox and that way it still bolted up to the middle section. the only thing you need to check is that the length of ur new one and the distance of the old pipe are the same or similar.

ive got a mint orignal backbox lying around so if you want to cut yours up and have a go, if your not happy with it u can have the orignal one off me for like £20 because i have a full stainless setup.

To be honest though going full stainless is the best bet.
if you can pm a pic of the backbox that would be good?

I take it you cant just flexi pipe it?

FLEXI FLEXIBLE EXHAUST PIPE 42M ID X 60CM LONG 2 CLAMPS on eBay, also, Campervan Motorhome Parts, Campers, Caravans Motorhomes, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 09-Feb-09 19:17:48 GMT)
Cheers Will

·
Registered
192 Posts
in my opinion the only problem with flexipipe is that the exhaust isnt going to be held very securly. i mean exhausts move around as a complete unit as you drive around, retaining there strength as they move, and if you were to flexipipe it i would think that you would have to attach your backbox to the car somewhere because i dont think that the hangers and the flexipipe would hold it properly (i may be wrong of course) and it would probably end up moving a lot and falling off??

i will go and take a pic off the back box for you and post it a bit later.

cheers

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A stock back box connects to the centre section near the drivers side rear wheel. Theres a flange to bolt it together. The one on the picture in the 1st thread doesnt have this and maybe for a 2.0 16v probe.

You will have to cut the old backbox off and weld the new one on or buy an old backbox and get it made up.

Have a look at the rear wheel, the pipe for the exhaust snakes over the rear suspension arm and the flange is on the corner of that

Wait there i'll take a pic.................

its basically the last 3rd of the section on that other one you posted, with a flange on it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
now ive looked at that centre section is appears that it has the flange on it, the same as the pic above.

You need the bit from the flange to the backbox.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now ive looked at that centre section is appears that it has the flange on it, the same as the pic above.

You need the bit from the flange to the backbox.
yup any ideas where i can get one? apart from powerflow to make me one up? thanks will!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cut it off your standard one?? probly the cheapest easiest way lol

also i just noticed about ur laguna splitter, how did that look and was it easy to do??
what cut it and use a bit of flexi pipe to make up?

laguna looks realy good, look at my other thread with my picture of my car..
I used universal mudflap clamps to hold it on. you can also screw it in, using self tappers. Thats what ive done on the CRX.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ok, what you need is the whole pipe section from the rear of your standard backbox upto the flange (which is in the pic windy put up)

so if you unbolt the exhaust at the flange (in the pic its by the rear wheel) the whole back section will come off when you take it off the rubbers, with the pipe and backbox attached as one piece.

then what i would do is look at the length of your *new* back box compared to the standard one (the closer the better)

if they are pretty similar in length then you should be ok to cut the exhaust pipe off the back of the *old exhaust* quite close to the box, then it should be relativly easy to re-attach your new box to the old pipe, may need a spot of welding if you cant get it on with an exhaust clamp. but it will be a minimal cost like a tenner.

then just reattach the whole section at the flange and the rubbers and that should be fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont think the new exhaust is long enough at the back, so it may need another bit added on?

i will try and get some pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah thats probably the case then, to be honest have you thought of going full stainless? i got a full setup for like £270, and that along with headers and CAI make a good diffrence to power and sound etc. probably one of the best mods ive done

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have thought about it, but dont really wanna spend £270 on the full lot tbh, rather just spend a few pounds on this, i know its tight, but ive got more important things I need the money for - such as paying back my dad for the damage I did for the mx6, had a little prang in a car park a few weeks months back! all sorted now though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
fair enough mate i know times are hard lol. if you went to a garage with the new back box and asked them to attach it all in i would think it would only cost a few quid, because, its only a bit of weld and if you get hold of some pipe from a scrap yard or something, will be even cheaper mate. can u give me the link to your splitter pics etc?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts