Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock muffler is welded to the rest of my exhaust system, so my question is, is a universal muffler an option, or would I have to get an entire new system?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
If you read up on the exhaust for the Probe/mx6 most people run either 2.25in or 2.5in on the V6 models. Just about everybody tells that, they feel i difference in HP at the high RPM with the 2.5in. You may lose just a little low end torque, but not much with the 2.5in. Also most cat.backs for the MX6 are made for the Probe and must have a extension on the pipe to fit the MX6, that is no problem at all to fix. From my time with my HKS Dragger muffler on the stock pipe, I didnot gain anything. There has been no DynoTest but it is something that i just feel. The stock pipe on the MX6 is 2in(right). The reson that people use the cat. back or bigger pipe when they put a muffler on the car is, to free up the air coming out the engine. If you use a CAI, headers, and a HFC(high flow cat.) with either a cat. back (Greddy, Borla, Pacesetter) or use a universal muffler( many brands of these) you will gain about 10-12hp. Then put on the spacer on the intake manifold, i have seen that give 5hp, then port the intake manifold and throttle body. This will be the reason tha people use bigger pipe on the exhaust, am i right or wrong guys.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uh...yes?

I wish I understood exhaust systems more. the only thing I understood was right guys? :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
jdmxsix is correct.
Translated what it means is that the larger the exhaust pipe diameter the more air can be flowed out it. The main reason that most people don't feel a big difference when putting on a cat-back system is that they still haven't done anything to the intake side of the engine and that is the real bottleneck for our engine in terms of flowing more air. Once you ahve changed the intake to get more air in and changed the headers to flow it out of the eninge better then the larger exhaust piping helps out more. I just had 2.5" piping run from the y-pipe of my headers through a 2.5" cat and glasspack to a twin muffler setup out back and I've noticed a much better pull above 3000 rpm, but I've got a CAI and phenolic spacers with headers so the larger pipe made a difference for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg, I like your muffler

is it a universal or part of the cat. back system?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Matt a lot of this has to do with your car. For me I put new pipe on but it is still only 2.25 but I have a cai and my exhaust is dualed out so it breaths nices. I can feel some power enhance ment even with the 2.5 pipe. I chose the 2.25 over the 2.5 because my shop guy thought it might rattle agains the heat shield. So think about what mods you want if you want to go all out minus turbo or sc then do 2.5

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Superman 39 said:
Matt a lot of this has to do with your car. For me I put new pipe on but it is still only 2.25 but I have a cai and my exhaust is dualed out so it breaths nices. I can feel some power enhance ment even with the 2.5 pipe. I chose the 2.25 over the 2.5 because my shop guy thought it might rattle agains the heat shield. So think about what mods you want if you want to go all out minus turbo or sc then do 2.5
Dual muffler??? Dual Exhaust??? in form me on that please.

·
Registered
543 Posts
dont over do it with the piping size. Aything bigger than 2.5 in and you start to loose hp unless you have a turbo.

I just kept my stock piping (2in) becuase I did not want too lose any of my bottom end power. Also, because the small hp gains weree not worth the money(1-3), and for the same cash, you could buy a set of headers ($200 and up) that will give you between 6-8 hp at the wheel.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have two dual dtm mufflers on my 6!!! I sent my film in to be developed so as soon as I get it back I will post. Hey is there in way to set up a web page easily? free would also be nice I want to have a page for my 6 so I can so off like the rest of you because I too am a proud owner.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Re: Greg, I like your muffler

matt_MX6 said:
is it a universal or part of the cat. back system?
Actually if you are looking at my pics they are now out of date as of last Wednesday. That muffler was a universal Tsudo twin muffler on a Greddy cat-back system. It has since been replaced with the above mentioned custom 2.5" system and the twin mufflers have been cut in half and put on opposite sides of the car for a dual outlet setup. I'll update the pics sometime soon. Unless someone want to host it until my club president gets time to update the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts