Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this, but im not quite sure my question was answered to im gonna ask now.

A friend of mine was telling me that if you go with a 3" exhaust upgrade from the turbo all the way through without upgrading the turbo and sticking to the stock on, that you may actually loose performance instead of gaining it.

Is this true, or is it fine to get the full exhaust system while still having the stock turbo and possibly getting a boost controller?

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
You wont ever lose any power on a turbo car by going with a 3" exhaust. On these cars especially you'll gain noticeable power since the turbo can breathe better under all loads. Add an intake cone filter to that and you'll love the gains you see. Add a boost controller to that with some careful tuning and you've gained a ton of power for cheap.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Cone filter and 3" exhaust to help that turbo breath the way it wants to. That's the way to do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which would be the better gain, torque or horsepower, and what exactly is the difference? i have done a search on this, but no one really states the difference, merely what they have and how much it cost them and what not....

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
A turbo requires a pressure differential between the 2 sides of the turbine blades. The greater the differential the faster it spools. So a bigger exhaust will facillitate a greater differential giving you a faster spool.
I noticed no drop in torque with my 2.5" system. You friend is getting confused with a N/A engines requirement for back pressure.

As for HP v Torque. Horsepower is just a calculated figure derived from torque. HP= Torque x RPM / 5252

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, that makes sense. So if u notice no drop in torque with a 2.5, then there shouldn't be a drop with a 3".

Im asking cause i dont want to do 2.5 now, and then do a turbo upgrade and switch to a 3" later. I'd much rather just do the 3" now as long as im still gaining and not loosing performance...

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I don't think you'd lose torque but I'd be keen to see actual evidence on a dyno sheet.

BTW I editted my last post to show the Torque/rpm calc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, sounds good, thanx for the input

G

·
Yes, that algorithim is legit.

190 X 4500 / 5252 = 162...We all know that the MX6 makes more power at the crank then mazda suggests.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
If you get an exhaust make sure that you get an intake/filter too. Letting the air out isnt good for the engine if your keeping the stock air box. Its going to try to suck in more air, if its chokeing you might have problems.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
A 3'' system helped make the power curve a bit more linear in my car. Plus, I started hitting boost cut in 3rd gear on cooler nights with no boost controller, so there was a definate gain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts