Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some help please!

well i have a 89 mx6 rebuilt the head about 6 mos ago drove it for 4 mos it ran fine...
I let it sit up for 2 mos... battery had a dead cell so i bought a new one...
now when i start it up will run fine for 1 min then thick white smoke starts to come from the exhaust what can this be?
running rich or lean?
and also the wire broke off the oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold
but this was like that 6 mos ago and never had that problem so what is it?
is it because the batt went dead and it need's the o2 sensor connected to reprogram the ecu?
also i noticed a lot of oil in the intake manifold is this normal?
there are no leaks in the coolant...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
White smoke isn't fuel, unburned fuel (or running rich) come sout black. White smoke sounds more like coolant. If it has a slight bluish tint to it then it's oil. Check your coolant level as I would suspect something has happened there. Head may have warped from sitting (i don't really see how but...) and a coolant jacket could be letting coolant into yout motor. If not that check the oil. For more info on what to look for when doing this, i.e. color of oil, thickness of it, blah blah blah, search for it. There have been numerous posts about oil and water mixing and what it looks like.

·
Registered
897 Posts
No no...he's trying to say that it had a broken wire for 6 months before, and didn't smoke like it does now, 2 months after he stopped driving the car, which he drove it for 4 months.

So it sounds like, the wire broke 6 months ago, about the time he rebuilt the head.

After seeing the white smoke from pouring oil in the cylinders to do a compression test, I'm thinking it might be oil burning. He already said there's a lot of oil in the intake manifold (which I believe, is normal to have some, right?) Maybe there's some reason he's getting oil into the cylinders.

Am I off...maybe he's got oil dumping from his valve cover, through the pcv, into the intake manifold. Isn't that how it usually gets coated with oil? So that gets oil in it, and eventually, it enters as intake air, which begins to burn in the cylinder, causing white smoke.

Or...it could be coolant :) Oh...or the oxygen sensor. Replace it, or fix the wire, or something. It's OBVIOUSLY supposed to be there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i think that's gonna be the problem that piece of the pcv hose that goes into the valve cover broke..
and when i took it off i could see right through.
it so i got a new one and got a new o2 sensor gonna go to the park and let it smoke up there until it clears out i'll post later to let u know if this was the problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i'm back in business it was the piece of plastic that comes from the intake manifold hose in to the valve cover i just let it run for 30 mins at idle and all the smoke is gone

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the little piece of plastic that connects the pcv hose to the intake manifold it broke and was letting oil dump into the intake manifold

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bradford said:
You blew a head gasket. Check in your oilpan for coolant and check your coolant for oil.
Your incorrect.

Originally posted by 89_6withballs
It was the little piece of plastic that connects the pcv hose to the intake manifold it broke and was letting oil dump into the intake manifold
On a turbocharged engine, having a properly functioning PCV valve is critical, because once the engine is under positive manifold pressure (Boost), the pressure will flow back into the crankcase. Without the valve to keep it from going there, it will flow down and have to find a way to escape, usually through your rings. Very bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts