Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get an exhaust this summer. I still have the stock muffler and am looking to get a good side pipe, since the area which the muffler comes out is a good size. Any suggestions? Price range is....eh....debateable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
matt_MX6 said:
I'm looking to get an exhaust this summer. I still have the stock muffler and am looking to get a good side pipe, since the area which the muffler comes out is a good size. Any suggestions? Price range is....eh....debateable.

our stock exhaust systems really are very addequate, so a cat back or high preformance muffler will only give you about 2-4 hp. I bought my magna flow muffler for only $130 installed at MR MUFFLER. It is a staight though design and I bought the race design. For more info go to http://www.magnaflow.com

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
cat. back, try the search feature on here as well as on probetalk.com you will find tons of stuff. borla and greddy make good cat backs

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, i'm new at this whole exhaust thing. cat backs?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
a cat. back exhaust would come with pipe and a muffler, the pipe woudl connect to the cat. you have on the car now. therefore you have a cat. back exhaust system. please use the resources http://www.probetalk.com, and search there, i search there all the time for stuff. please use it. later

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i have the stock pipe and a straight though muffler. i was just saying a a cat. back because i have heard such good stuff about the borla. i like my HKS muffler. so the cheap way is the muffler and stock pipe. later

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you both think just a new, high quality muffler? Like what, MagnaFlow?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i think that muffler is not loud at all. look for a universal and see if you like the style. i have the HKS. i saw a Weapon R on a probe this weekend and i like the sound and the look. borla makes a muffler i think.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
borla mufflers huh....and i didn't even know weapon R made mufflers. Can you see how new I am at this? I feel like a moron talking to you guys about this stuff.

·
Registered
283 Posts
bro first thing u should remember is you need the full piping exhaust not just the muffler, they can run you from 180 -500 bucks depends om what u like u can get a custom one just remember to get the piping, comapnies that make ones for our cars are greddy, apexi, naxos, remus. good luck

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
In all honesty, in order for you to get some honest horsepower out of your exhaust system, you'll have to work on every single part of it. Starting from the engine compartment, I would go for a Hotshot/PRM Cold air intake. Then I would go for Hotshot headers, high flow catalitic converter and a full cat back exhaust system. if you just get a muffler, you are looking to 0-1 HP gain. They don't do anything. Th eshops will tell you, "yeah with this muffler, you're looking to get about 10-15HP" That is bullcrap. My suggestion is to save up and get some parts that are realy worth it. For instance, save up and get either a Borla or a Greddy cat back exhaust system. Then work on the Catalitic converter (random technologies). Then up to headers and a CAI...Once you have the whole setup.. then you're looking at a conciderable HP gain of about 10-15 HP. Remember, our MX6's don't take mods very well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the borla catback on mine and I love it..I don't even think its completely broken in yet b/c the sound gets better everyday.

What do you mean when you say our cars don't take to mods well?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mike Paszti on Probetalk has almost 180whp from his 03 using the stock 2.12" piping. He's replaced his cat with a 2.5" resonator and has a 3" race muffler on the end. back pressure is essential to making HP so don't go overboard trying to up size your pipe. Mike actually lost power when he tried 2.5" pipe. Greddy is only 60mm = 2.4".

Personally I'm going with 2.25" compression bent custom pipe, with a new cat, resonator and straight through muffler all 2.25" diamete. It'll flow alot better than stock without sacrificing low end torque. I have a higher compression ZE, but if I didn't, I'd be using the stock pipe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts