Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can u guys give me the scoop on EXHAUSTS (the whole system)?

-Do they actually give more HP, if so why?
-Also, are resonating exhausts better than regular ones?
-what's a silencer?
-AND...If I have a 1year factory extended warranty left, am I allowed to put an exhaust on, or does MAZDA void the warranty?

Thanks.

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
Putting an exhaust on does not void the warranty. I talked to my Mazda dealer prior to putting my exhaust on to make sure of that and he told me it's all good. As per HP, I believe it does give more hp because it is less restrictive, but I'll let someone who knows the more technical explanation answer that for you. I really like the greddy exhaust i had installed and i noticed the car seems a little faster.

G

·
The best way to explain why exhausts AND intakes are so effective is:
Go run a marathon while breathing through a drinking straw.

G

·
Get too big of an exhaust, and you will lose all backpressure to yourengine which means:
It may take a second you get your rpm's up high enough to get effective torque. Basically, a polished exhaust won't help you off the line, but one you are cranking out rev's and killing rice, you will notice less hesitation.

G

·
Alright here is the low down on your exhaust questions. Number one the horse power. The more free your exhaust is to flow the quicker it can leave the cylender. The quicker it escapes the more volume in your cylinder is left to hold the air and fuel ratio. Your compression will also be better because it will not have to compress trapped exhaust gases. Number two resonating tips do only that: resonate. They make it sound like you have a weed eater on your car that is all. Tips do not add horse power, they are for looks. Number three, a silencer is only good for two things: your 9mm Glock and if you have punk arse police who give tickets to cars with load exhaust. The silencer in a muffler silences the exhaust sounds with mean they have to be deflected more which in turn results in a less free flowing exhaust. But do not worry about how loud it will be. A 6 cyl or 4 cyl will not make that much noise. It will not be like a Mustang. So if you want to got the whole route, then get some equal length headers, go to a 2.25 inch pipe without a cat if you can get by with it into a good muffler. I suggest a HKS Dragger if you have a 6 cyl. the tip should be normal what ever size you want. That about does it. About the warrenty I would ask the dealership, but I would say that it would not void the warrenty.

G

·
Get 2.5 inch tubing, not 2.25 inch. You'll get more top end hp without losing torque. If you get custom tubing done (good idea, a lot cheaper) then make sure it's mandrel bent. For mufflers, make sure you get one with a straight thru design, not chambered like the stock one. It gives more hp. Also, if you get rid of the catalytic converter make sure you replace it with a second resonator or else it'll be really loud and annoying. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
LIES LIES... oh wait wrong thread,................................................................ I was wondering who makes a muffler with a 3 inch inlet and at least a 5 inch outlet straight through? I need one!

G

·
twinturbo6 said:
LIES LIES... oh wait wrong thread,................................................................ I was wondering who makes a muffler with a 3 inch inlet and at least a 5 inch outlet straight through? I need one!
Have you tried GREDDY?

·
Registered
257 Posts
dont straight thrus get real raspy and rice sounding(i hate hondas)? how does a straight thru compare to a flowmaster? 40 or 50 series flowmaster?

G

·
Well I am not sure. I have only heard Flowmasters on Mustang and Camereos. But The quiter series ones like the 50 or 30 would probably be good.

·
Registered
257 Posts
WHAT ABOUT POWER WISE? A FLOWMASTER VS. A STRAIGHT THRU? FLOWMASTER HAS ALL TYPES OF TECH ENGINEERY THINGIES INSIDE TO MAXIMIZE EXHAUST GAS PULSE. OR ARE THESE JUST IN THE WAY?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts