Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

i've finnally got all the name brands that i want to get for my performance products. rpm, mazdaspeed, etc. now i've got another question on exhuast; will this set up give me what i want from an exhuast note. i want a nice deep throaty sound, that can can be semi loud. i'm thinking of going with 2 1/2 piping with an arospeed tuneable muffler on the end. where my question is is about the cat. converter and resonator. what does a resonator do? i heard of replacing it with a cat back for a deep tone, true? should i get a high flow cat and no resonator/ well thanks for the info.

john

·
Registered
257 Posts
FROM WHAT IVE BEEN TOLD AND FROM EXPERIENCE, THE RESONATOR HAS LITTLE EFFECT ON POWER,MOSTLY UPPER RPM AND HIGH THROTTLE SOUND. I KNOW SOMEONE WHO ON A VW VR6 RE DID THE PIPING WITH MANDREL BENT AND REMOVED THE RESONATOR, BUT RETAINED THE STOCK MUFFLER. I CANT EVEN PUT INTO WORDS HOW BEAUTIFUL THE SOUND WAS. LOWER RPM, LOWER THROTTLE, IDLE AND CRUISE SPEEDS WERE BARELY LOUDER, JUST SLIGHTLY DEEPER WITH A MORE TUNED SOUND. THE WHEN HE GOT ON IT...WOW!!! AN AMAZING DEEP,LOUD,THROATY YET STILL VERY CONTROLLED AND TUNED WHAIL. YOU DEFINITELY HEARD HIM WHEN HE WANTED YOU TOO, BUT HE HAD SUCH A SLEEPER. STOCK LOOKING AND SOUNDING, AND BETWEEN THE PIPING AND NO RESONATOR, ONLY A hp OR TWO SHY OF A REAL CAT BACK. MUCH CHEAPER TOO. ABOUT $125. I'M PROBABLY GONNA TRY 2.5" PIPING, NO RES.,AND MY STOCK MUFF. IT CANT HURT. I CAN ALWAYS CHANGE IT=) GOOD LUCK.,-BLUMX6

·
Registered
932 Posts
Snakeyes, talk to this guy if you want info on exhaust. He has 2 1/2" piping with a cat(not sure if stock or high-flow) with his resonator and a Borla XR-1. He really seems to love it. I think I'm going with that same exact setup maybe subtract the res though. I guess the res gives you some bottom end torque. So removing it will be a little loss but you will gain in sound. If you dont mind a really noisey cab you can also keep the res. All it does is muffle the sound and restrict flow a little. E-mail this guy with your questions. [email protected] He is a great guy and will help you greatly. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
932 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think that taking out the catalytic converter would make more sense than taking out the resonator. The cat is a pretty big bottleneck in the exhaust system, and replacing it with a second resonator should keep the noise down, while keeping most of the hp gains. Also, i've heard that high flow cats don't work.

BTW snakeyes I'm thinking of a very similar setup to you, with the arospeed. Tell me how it works out!

·
Registered
98 Posts
exhuasts

I got my cat cut out today....When i get up in the 4-6 rpm range it kinda has a WHHAAAA sound does anyone know if i got my resonator taken off....would it give me a deep tone throughout the rpms? i dont think i want to pay for a premade....plz help

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Dammnnnn! Old ass post from the past. You do realize that you replyed to a 3-4 year old thread right?

BTW, you'll need a resonator or you'll be getting tons of rasp. I have a cutout right at the end of the midpipe. Works well, no leaks, sounds great!

·
Registered
98 Posts
yes

gimme a break...i havent been here THAT long....its only my 2nd year with this car...and i am slowly finally making money
ok... so your saying all i gotta do is put my cat put back on and get a cutout right before it...that wont cause any backpressure problems will it?
thanks for any help given

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I've got a highflow cat and custom mandrel bent 2.5inch tubing to my Ractive carbon fiber muffler. IMO i like the way it sounds. Nice n deep, i hate those mufflers that sound like a 2 stroke motorcycle. my .02

metros

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Exhaust setup

upgrade order IMO:

1st - Full cat back:
Piping (Mandrel Bent)-
2.25" for I4
2.5" for V6 or No2 I4
3" for Turboed/Supered V6 (I4 turboed too i guess?)

Resonator-
Gets ride of that all aweful rasp and ricer sound
18"-22"
Magnaflow makes some really good ones

Muffler-
Soooo many type out there. Just remember you get what you paided for (Magnaflow and Borla have lifetime garuntees!)

2nd - Headers
Recomend equal length Hotshot
Pacesetter has the best flow but makes the exhaust note change to worse.
Note: Flex pipes are better! ball joint crap can leak causing you to fail emissions. You can always have an exhaust shop weld on a flex pipe to any setup.

3rd- Cat
A nice free flowing one ofcourse. remember you get what you pay for! note: Keep your stock one handy because if you have any problems with emmissions you can put it back in for the test.

I think thats it. Personally, I have Hotshot headers (wraped), Stock Cat. (helpes keep it alittle more quite this way, i may change it out one day), 18" generic resonator (wish it was magnaflow.. ohh well :shrug: ), 2.5 mandrel bent pipping, Reactive DTM muffler (sounds pretty good for it being only a reactive muffler. I will change my muffler out one day)

·
Registered
6 Posts
About the Resonator and CAT

If you cut out your CAT the car will be quite a bit louder. high flow cats do work, i know for a fact. the resonator will make your car a little louder in the low range rpm's but it makes it scream beautifully in the higher rpm's. however when you let off the gas you get that little poppy sound. if you dont cut out your cat the poppy sound is nice, but if you have no cat you better like a really loud obnoxious poppy sound, which i hate. My brother has a 2005 Cobalt SS and he took out the CAT and the Resonator. if he rev's his car we can hear it from about a mile away when he rev's it. keep your cat if your are going to get rid of your resonator, and visa-versa. taking out the resonator on my car was a decision i deffinitely dont regret.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Wow, that's the oldest thread I've seen ressurected so far :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
jesus. i was confused at first because on the main forum page it has no name for the poster of the subject lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dang, this is the oldest thread I've ever seen on here. I didn't even know this site was around in 2000. Way to resurrect it :tup:

·
No one told me about this
1,426 Posts
This is old school i dont even think i was into cars in 2000, i was thinking about tricking out my BMX bike lol

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
i was thinking about tricking out my BMX bike lol
oooh man. i feel you on that one.

i was pretty damn good at bmx too. we have some sweet ass trails right by my house. been in videos and all!

i cant even amagine all the money ive spent on that bike. now its just sitting in my basement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts