Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some work on the backside of the engine, where a lot of hoses and wire harnesses are. I came across 2 plugs on the wire harness that are not plugged into anything. I am not missing any function on the car. Any idea what 2 extra wire plugs could be for......I can post a photo. They are short, come off the main harness, so they could only reach to something that would be on the backside of the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I have those too. I believe I have everything working, nothing lacking, and no idea what these 2 electrical wires maybe for. They are not long, only place they could reach would be something on back of the engine. Are there any wires that are supposed to connect to the automatic transmission ?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
They wouldn't reach the transmission.
Can you take a second photo, just a bit to the right of that photo above, so i can better see where those 2 wires connect to the harness. Then I can compare them to my own car.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Plus, in the top wire in your photo above, does it end in a cut wire, that is connected into the connector?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The top wire has a connector still in it. The connector is round, the wires have come off that. Below on the silver, you can see the round wire that was connected to it. The problem I have now is trying to find again that round wire that was sitting on the silver.

The top wire is only 1 wire. I still have no idea what this wire / circuit is used for. Everything on the car is working.

Note just to the right of the round wire on the silver is the wire for the O2 back sensor. And you can see the heater hose in the photo.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think I have figured out one of them. That one with the single wire (blue/yellow according to Haynes) goes to the power steering pump. It's to raise the idle rpm slightly when you turn the steering wheel, so the engine doesn't stall.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is one blue / yellow wire. Haven't noticed anything in terms of how things are working. I am still searching for the other end of the wire that comes from the power steering pump.......somehow it must have dropped way down, now it seems to have vanished !

On another matter with wiring, I got tired of the hassle when dealing with the egr solenoids on that brass plate. I took them off so they are separated, use longer vacuum hoses, and now have both solenids just sitting up behind the throttle cable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have looked all over the back of the engine, trying to locate that wire showing in the photo that is the one from the power steering pump, that is to connect to that blue yellow wire coming out of the wire harness. Even looked from underneath the car, cannot locate it. Can you tell me where on your car that wire is, or possibly a picture ? Is it coming off the power steering pump.....I can't find any wire around the power steering pump. So strange that I was able to take a photo of it, but now cannot find it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
1. See where the power steering line connects to the top/rear of the power steering pump?
2. See about 2 inches to the front of that, there's a 10mm bolt, that screws into the top of the power steering pump, that holds a metal bracket that supports that power steering line?
OK, the electrical connector attaches to the power steering pump halfway between 1 and 2. But it's hard to see, because it's hidden underneath that power steering line.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally located the missing wire, it had fallen off completely and was down under the steering rack. It is not obvious to me how this wire works, and how it attaches - is the rubber end supposed to fit over the nipple looking post, that is between the 2 power steering bolts ? It almost seems like a combination of electrical and vacuum. When I replaced the power steering pump, I don't recall hooking up any wires to it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the rubber covers some metal that will fit over the nipple. But how does this work....is it some heat sensor, there is no wire connection to the power steering pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts