Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the top piece of my antenna was dangling from the top yesterday. I pulled it out and the top of the antenna and the piece of plastic that has the teeth on it was attached and probably a couple feet long. When I turn on/off the radio.. it makes a whining noise like its opeing or closing, but of course nothing is happenining and its just noiser for a longer period of time. leads me to believe the motor still works. Can anyone tell me waht I need to replace and or how much it may end up costing me? any help greatly appreciated

cheers
:(

·
Registered
806 Posts
If the motor is running, then all you need to replace is the antenna mast, the part it sounds like you pulled out or was dangling. Is the plastic chain broken or have any stripped teeth? I am having a hard time visualizing exactly what happened, but a new mast is about $30 US if you need to replace it.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm

I know... its difficult to type an explanation :)

It was the very tip of the antenna was attached to the plastic piece from inside the antenna. and it looked like it was pulled on very hard like. The tip (about 4inches long) was flopping about from on top of the antenna.... so I just pulled the rest of it out... Im supposing that the teethy paprt is waht connects it to the motor... and without it,.. the antenna isnt gonna budge.

stupid assed thing....
I hope I can salvage the motor....

thanx man

CHeers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your antenna is broken, the plastic drive chain that pushes the mast up and pulls it down either stripped, broke or came apart from the windup spring and motor. You could replace the mast and plastic chain or replace the whole motor. I dont know how much the replacement mast would cost but Ive seen replacement antenna on ebay for about $50US.

Its straight forward replacing them. Ive replaced one on mine and one on a BMW.

Since I only listen to CD's I simply removed the antenna from my '6, but kept the mast in (pushed it in) collapsed (closed) to keep from having a big hole there. I plan on shaving the hole and filling it at the same time that I shave the emblems.

Dont worry, if you decide to replace it, it is easy to do.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Rufnek:
Take out the whole unit, and then replace the mast and the chain with the teeth. I found a generic kit replacement at Walmart cheap.

Something similiar happened to my car and the kind folks at mazda told me that they don't sell the replacemnt chain anywhere and that I would have to buy a new one. Those S.O.B.'s... So I ended up replacing the whole thing with a fuba roof mounted antenna and shaving the hole where the power antenna had formerly been.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hm

thats an intresting idea... however I really like the placement and the electrics behind the stock antenna... I would mind trying to paint it black though... I think that would look tight...

thanks for all the replys...

cheers:cool:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
lightrida:

i was wondering how much is a fuba antenna? we dont get em here in canada and im gonna be needing one when i shave my antenna... tia

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Mazdaspeedstar:

Yeah we do get them here in Canada. I got mine from a local performance shop here in my area. You should be able to get them there from one too. You could also order them from the internet, or even get them from a Volkswagen dealership, but make sure get one from a 1990 Volkswagen since the new designs are a bit difficult to install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts