Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a build thread for anyone who wanted to see my car, Ive used a lot of helpful information from this site for my build, bought the plate to flip my intake around, I have machine shop experience just no access to tools and I did not want to do it by hand.

But here she is before I started the project back 6 months ago. Just a stock 5spd drum brakes 1.6 liter carby engine bad suspension. good solid car.

Stock motor gone, keeping it for my 1979 tercel I have, has a 3ac but the 4ac is more powa.

Locked up turbo engine donor just used for mockup. first problem with stock oil pan and stock crossmember the transmission mounting boss hit the steering shaft. and the engine was too far forward

Through away all a/c or old junk, still going to paint engine bay once its running and all final mocking is done.

Turbo oil drain for oil pan, was a oil pickup from one of my old turbo 300zx cut screen off and clean it up.

B2200 trans got from a friend for like 40 bucks came with intercooler and spare f2t turbo/manifold too.

turbo exhaust flange adaptor I had my friend make at his work, later I found that you can buy them on ebay. oh well, 3.5 inch exhaust pipe is going to be welded to it then out of the driver fender in front of the tire.

chopping the xmember

Mocking up for motor mounts and trans mounts, Im going to implement a poly mount on the trans but the engine mounts are staying solid

Not the best welding but its a 90 dollar flux core welder that I got from a friend, 1/8 inch plate welded nuts on the inside, easy simple design

Engine and trans mounted my shifter sat a little further back so I trimmed the hold a little bigger

Where the heater core was, going to relocate it to where the a/c was. using stock distributor, going to try to build a box around the hole but still be able to get to the dist. without pulling the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Got a 1986 corolla gts coupe tank, i had a gts tank from a 85 with the fuel pickup for the intake fuel pump, because mine is stock with a mechanical pump. so I have the thicker diameter hard lines from the gts car too. I just pulled my stock lines today but it started raining, hooking up the hard lines is the last thing I have to do before it will run, except for wiring.

Had to cut the filler neck off and put on the rubber one from the 83

Going to por15 it once car runs

Got the intake plate done and in the car

Also had to bend the dipstick tube so that I can run the 3.5inch exhaust pipe there that I havnt made yet, it will come straight from the turbo and turn left out of the fender.

pvc nipple had to cut off and weld shut

Thats where im at now, I pulled my stock fuel lines, Just need to install the fuel injection lines, get my friend to integrate the harness into the car and hope she runs.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
looking really good!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just bought something today to make my fuel system work. I bought fuel line that goes from the fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel filter and from the filter to the fuel rail for a 93 corolla and its the same threads as a 85 gts corolla which is the fuel line from the tank im using, but the f2t just using a regular fuel line. so im going to cut the line after the filter and put a hose barb male to male fitting in it and it will get me going till I order one of these

Turbocharger Water Banjo Bolt Kit M12x1.25mm to 3/8" (9.5mm) Hose Barb | eBay

and that will bolt into the outlet of the fuel filter for basically any FI toyota.

My freind that is an electriction and a electrical car guru is supposed to help me wire it saturday so its up to me to get the fuel pumping to the engine and get my rear mounted battery in the car by then.

this swap has been tough with how busy i stay with work and my girlfriend lol, but i think its going to be rewarding, I just picked up a 77 celica too just for a cool daily driver since I dont daily the corolla any more.

I just read through darkmx6 about his f2t power rx7 and he would have been much better doing what I did and keeping a transmission that was made for the engine, u know it will work and custom driveshaft is easy to get made. i just found a b2600 2wd with a g6 engine so that trans will work and hold a lot of power, same as turbo rx7 trans but closer to a b2200 trans so im picking it up as a backup if i have problems with the b2200 trans not holding up to drifting.

Also forgot to mention that I have a ae86 lsd 4.30 rear end with disc brakes, direct bolt in except for the spring perches are a little different, will have to drill into the frame rails to mount rear sway bar as I dont currently have one, and ebrake cables are different. but all 5 links work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wiring up the engine and found out that because the harness is for a fwd and im putting it in a rwd, where the harness goes through the firewall is pretty much backwards from where it is but i can deal with it to get it running then we can undo the loom and redo it.

action shot, dist through firewall lol, my friend said easy to adjust on the fly.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
thats what you have to do in the RX7 build and i think on some b2200 builds too.

i believe you could always convert it to a b2200 distributor or go standalone with coil on plug.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for the b2200 you would have to swap heads then your ecu wouldnt work with that ecu? this works till i go megasquirt I just want to make sure the car, engine, swap all is reliable before I go gt28 or similar turbo and megasquirt, but I may end up going FE3 if this engine doesnt work well for drifting, higher rpms may be better for drifting, I used to drift with a 300zx revving only to 6500ish.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
i thought someone did the b2200 distributor on these cars without swapping heads. its been a looooooooooong time since i saw it though so i could very well be full of crap :lol:

i think you'll find that you dont necessarily need the RPM's with this motor. have you ever driven a car with an F2t?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I havnt, have never heard or seen one run, but my 87 300zx had like 300+ torque and maybe 220hp. at 13 psi.

I picked the f2t for a few simple reasons, easy to find, cheap, seems tough, cheap rwd transmission, its different than a f20c, sr20, or a 4age, I love older engines, 70s 80s import engines. stock turbo and fuel injected, was so tired of my carbureted engine. and f2 engines seem to make so much torque probably due to long stroke and long intake runners.

I just hate a sr20 or a 4age, just an ignitor and coil is like 400 used for a 4agze, its rediculous, I wont run a rare engine in my car. thats why I liek the fe3, right now therer is a 97 sportage in the JY and it has a tubular exhaust manifold and 2wd 5spd complete and there are a lot of other ones just sitting in the jy actually more than f2s in the junkyard, cept from b2200s like 30 in there.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
teh f2t will be similar to the 300zx in terms of feel. don't throw too big of a turbo on it if you want a drift build. you'll want a mild sized turbo that spools quickly but holds power to redline.

i had barely an upgrade at all on mine (stock exhaust housing, step up comp wheel and housing) and only put down 170hp on a mustang dyno but i was able to put down 256ft/lb of torque. with a bit more of a turbo and some fuel work i could have easily hit the 300 tq mark without fear of running out of RPM.

i've always loved the way the F2T feels at WOT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Im definatly not worried about power, my reason for swapping was just to get a turbo fuel injected engine. My stock engine made 90hp to the crank and who knows about the torque but it was worthless it would spin in rocks but you hit pavement at 7000rpms it would IrKKK and then no spin :D.

But people drift these cars fine with 115hp and no torque from a 1.6liter.

the stock 145hp and 190 torque will be killer in this car, and with a 4.30 rear end, and the low gearing of the b2200 transmission ill be drifting in 3rd im sure with that torque. Im using the higher compression na engine, 8.6:1 is still low. My 300zx had 7.8:1 engine and it drifted fine had no turbo lag, it had enough power to where nothing would bog it down to where it would get out of the rpm/power range. My original f2t turbo engine was locked up but complete so I bought it from the JY and then got a NA longblock, 140k and really really clean engine that had a blown clutch so I think thats why the engine was in the jy.

For the turbo ive been doing a lot of reading about matching the turbo to the engine so it all works well together I figure a gt28 would be good, if anything gt25-gt30. A gt35 spools faster than a small t3 on a stock 3.0 liter v6 from a 300zx, I think ball bearing is the way to go for drifting.

Does anyone know what the Volumetric effeciency of the f2t?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The f2t also uses a kinda of dual sequential fuel injection system, where 1 and 3 fire at the same time and 2 and 4 fire at the same time, my 300zx had a batch fuel injection system. right now I have the harness backwards ill have to look at this and makes sure I atleast have the 2 on the 2 they are supposed to be on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
IT RAN!!!!

Sorry but its wired up, think the injectors need to be rebuilt though more to come, videos

What size intercooler piping do people run on these engine so that the intake piping's velocity from turbo to throttlebody isnt doesnt suffer. I was thinking 2.0-2.25 inch piping.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
in for video! congrats!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
sorry no vid yet, im crunched for time need to get this car fully running and driving by mid November at least, i might be working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week and ill have no time to work on it then. Working on a 24million dollar project at work that is supposed to be ready to run by November 11th. and im moving in december so I dont want to tow this car.

Just ordered stuff I need to hook up the radiator, stock radiator has inlet and outlet on passenger side, I need them on driver side, so I ordered 6 90degree bends and about 5 foot of 1-1/4" aluminum piping. then once that is done im switching over to the intercooler

Going to run 2.25 to intercooler, it has 2.5 inlet and outlet, then 2.5 piping from IC to TB.

Using the TR8 Intercooler
TR8 Intercooler 500HP- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

havnt decided what BOV I want, it has to be recirc.
Turbonetics Raptor Blow off Valve- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

or this
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=TIL-BOV-015&Category_Code=

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
out of curiosity, why does it have to be a recirc?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
i had the opposite on my car. the outlet of my turbo is smaller than my throttle body so my IC piping got bigger. my last couple mx6s had a reducer right off the turbo so i used 2.5" IC piping all the way up to the throttle body.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts