Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday all,
has anybody put an extra turbo onto the F2T engine or know someone who has? Is it actually possible? Wat mods would i need to have done?

Its cos i might be able to get 2 turbos from a gt-r skyline for $500 or so. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey

Nice to see someone else out there trying to be adventurous with the Mx6 turbo....

2 years ago i actually bought a pair of T28's from a GTR R33, but within days returned them as i came back down to earth...

The problem is simply this.....theres no room!!!

Check your engine bay, inches away from the manifold is the airconditioning unit, unless you remove that there is no hope...

personally, airconditioning, especially in our cars during summer is something that i could not possibly be without....

But if you do decide to get ride of the aircon. then this would be possible with the aid of a custom manifold...

Keep us posted

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Actually it's not so much the room

It's the money issue.

You could leave the air-con.
It's about creating space by removing the Airbox, battery and fuse box to a nicer position. By doing so you could double mount two turbos one on top of the other.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the space issue i reckon i could fix but as rodhog said, its about the money. the guy who had the turbos i wanted sold them yesterday the bastard!! :(
btw how much did u end up paying for the pair of t28's jules22?

·
Registered
160 Posts
In defence of what i said....i put this forward to anyone (not in an aggresive way or anything..) ..even if you remove and relocate the battery and fuse, which if standing front of the engine are located on the right side....you cant go any further right...because you would hit the radiator fan...

At the present time im running a 2.5 inch pipe of my turbo to the airfilter, this pipe is seriously less than 1.5cm away from touch the brace for the raditor fan....i have photos to prove this

The ONLY, and i mean ONLY thing you could do to improve the space to fit two turbo;s is remove the aircon and shift the whole turbo/manifold combo to the left...

The two turbo's back two years ago cost me $1000 for the pair...with the wastegates and manifold...

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Raditator fan is easy done with you can gain an easy 30mm or more with the right thermo fan and even a smaller one.

It's about thinking logically to get around the problem

I'm not saying your not right it would make it easier to remove the air-con to do it but.

It's like trying to get a radiator out of some of the new cars and the like some look really difficult but if you think about it can be done with out too much shaven skin.

If you mounted one above the other with a manifold that splits
you could fit a nice 2.5 inch dumps again time and thought.

·
Registered
793 Posts
what gains could possiably justify going twin turbo?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
A proper Twin turbo setup could give you similar top end to say a Hi-flow T3
but you could expect alot more bottom end and mid range power.
Plus alot fatter and flatter torque curve.
It's not going to be worth it as you can get almost as close with a proper single turbo setup. Plus get more top-end.
The problem with Twin turbo set-ups is exhaust flow.

It just takes time and thought, plus added money.
Two GT-R T28's would be interesting. Being long storke motors the exhaust flow would be up heaps by 2000rpm but consdiering that a RB26 only is on fire after 4000rpm, I could see two T8's just like the factroy turbo and reaching peck at 3000rpm but it would give you another 3000rpm ot play with.
The best would be on a stroked Fe DOHC as then you could have another 1000rpm to paly with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gains...

twin T28's on an Mx6......

Firstly, there would be a **** load of lag down low, personally as someone who;s running a garret t3/t4 hiflow, in a front wheel drive car you want mid to top end power rather than down low.

What gains you'll acheive is a tough question depending on what you want done.....

In my opinion you would have to firstly invest in an aftermarket computer...such as the EMS, Haltech or Microtech....

then larger injector because the standard injectors dont handly about 15 psi to well...and as a result it would be best to get yourself a bigger fuel pump...

If you do things right...Custom manifold, injectors, intercooler/intake/airfilter piping, computer, fuel pump...

at 15 pound (depending on the type of t28 you use/condition etc...) i would think you could be running in excess of 160kw at the wheels...which is big ass power..

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I reckon it would be too much hassle for the gains you would get.

All the extra exhaust manifolding etc would be too much personally for me to be bothered. There was a twin turbo civic in zoom recently with 2 wrx turbos and the additional manifold on that was 70kg. Im sure thats something you would rather do without also.

I think keep with whats tried and true on turbo 4's. A good single.

Wouldnt you also want something with a bit of a linear power curve also? It seems to be they want to break traction once a large 'hump' of power arrives.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i agree, i dont think it would be worth it, but ofcourse i've had no experience with twin turbo setups so dont take my comments to seriously.

probably better off spending your hard earnt dosh on an fe-ze.. and then turbo the malaka

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats for all the advice. going on whats been said here i dont think i will go twin turbo.

the problem is that a big turbo like the T3/T4 costs a hell of a lot more than i can get two smaller turbos for and i still need to get the manifold done or a flange which adds to the cost.

thanks anyway for the ideas.

BennyT

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i thought that a t3/t4 wouldnt be all that expensive?

they arent the best turbos in the world, but you could probably pull a t3 from an rb25det for fairly cheap (few hundred).. i think thats already large enough for an f2t.. (depending how much power your chasing!)

id suggest a t28bb from an s15. will cost you less than (or same as) a set of turbz from an rb26dett i assume.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you think getting the twin turbo setup right will cost you less than a good single turbo your kidding yourself.

Gains will be much better even with just a cheap adapter plate, and a T28 S15 turbo for about $800.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anybody got any ideas where i can get a T28bb turbo from an s15 in Perth then? cos i looked at heaps of places and the cheapest 2nd hand one i could find was going for $950 for the turbo alone!!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Cheapest place for turbos right now is on the US Ebay site...

Brand spanking new T3's rated up to 350hp+ for $300US, plus $100US postage....

Tripharn

Edit: With the good exchange rate that is less than $600 at your door...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts