Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need a little advice if anyone can spare some...

Ive got a fairly stock '91(88-91 model) TX5 Turbo, and looking at putting a bigger turbo on it (5psi aint enough). Just want to now what i can take my boost up to before i have to change ecu's and what can i use as a replacement ecu, also any recommended turbos to use.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
i'd say before getting a bigger turbo and making it go fAst4r I'd make sure to get all of your preventative maintenance done, comp check, axles, brakes, cooling system, etc. Now if you toss in a 2.5" exhaust and K&N Drop in filter or something very similar, you should get close to 10psi. go here: www.injecttech.com to get your chip for the ECU, if it's compatible of course....also check the Aussie forums to see what they do for their chips. an MBC is a good start and walbro 190lph fuel pump and don't forget your vacuum/boost gauge (don't be cheap here), unless you already have one.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
infamous_t
You can get 12lbs out of the stock turbo before triggering boost cut, from whats bein said I'm pretty sure, 99.9% sure the Zombie chip doesnt work in the Ausi ecu's.
You should contact zorb_rules, a forum members here and fellow Ausie Tx5 driver, We are currently tryng to figure out how the Tx5 Ecu pluggs to the harness, Here the ford (probe gt) and the mazda (mx6/626 gt) Ecu's have different conections and cant be swapped short of changing the haness.
Once we find out wich Ecu to use I will be shipping him one (shipping stuff to OZ is slow and expensive) maybe if your interrested you can get one to. (Be like 45$cnd +shipping.) the Zombie chip Is 80$ US shipped (dont know if thats worldwide or noth america).
Untill you reach the stock turbo's limit or close to it, then it's not time to upgrade, and if you cant get passed 12lbs (stock ecu) then it's kind of pointless , With the right chip and mods you can run 14-15lbs saffely on the stock turbo and you'll see a huge difference over 5lbs? you have now.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
just make sure its highflow

i went from 6psi stock, put 2.5inc exhaust cat back, k&n panel filter, good cluthc stocker was slipping under some conditions, new plugs/oil/coolant compression test before was ok still is :), that like the other dude said gave me 10psi i acutaly had a pod filter but that made me hit boost cut lol so had to put the stock air box wiht stock restrictor on again.

Drop me a msg for any more details, glad to help.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
yeah we do trip but the chip deosnt work in ym car mr.carnage and I :) thoguht we'd experimetn with a few thigns over the 2 cars..shoudl come up with soem interesting results...and Ill be apying about what it costs for Woo's chip (aussie version) anyways.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help, i just needed to know where i stood with upgrades, and what i could get out of the stock setup. Hopefully i will have a vastly better setup in the next 6months and will let you all know how im going.

Thanks ppl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts