Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way I can change my fabric seats to leather? I really dispise the fabric in the mx-6 - it doesn't support the driver and is much thinner than the leather.

IF so, how much would it cost?

G

·
Leather seats

I know it can be possible cause I am planning to do it also in the near future, as soon as the cash flows in. How much is it...I am not sure. My friend got the "hook-up" in a local place here and got his two front seats redone in leather for $375....but like I said, he got hooked up (his friend works there). Maybe you can get it done for about $200 dollars more than that. Just thought I would let you know....peace.
-krazy

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm planning this, too...

There are two options...

1. Every city has a number of places that specialize in car upholstery. I'm going to have one of these joints re-do my headliner. They can re-cover seats, too.

2. The other option (substantially cheaper) is to go to a junk yard and buy leather seats out of another mx6. This is what I'm going to do. I heard also that some versions (don't know which, maybe the "m" edition) of the mx6 have power seat adjustment. I'm gonna try to find some grey leather seats with power adjustment.

If you have an upholsterer do it for ya, please post and let us know how much it cost you...

Best of luck...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how would you remove the old seats and install the new leather seats? Will they fit into the old slots?

Also...what about the back seats? Can u change them too?

G

·
One of the greatest things about the mx-6 is the leather seats in the LS. Driver side is eight-way power, and they have got to be some of the most comfortable seats ever to grace an automobile. They are practically racing seats, they give so much support. Anyhow, merely covering the factory cloth seats in leather will not give you I think what you want, cause the seats themselves are totally different. You should either find some at a junk yard (so many people refuse to go to junk yards because of the name, but you can often get some quality stuff for dirt cheap) or another option that somebody else put forth...BUY LEATHER RACING SEATS. I would advise this option to somebody who is willing to spend many hundreds of dollars (around 700). You could also have the rear seats upholstered in the same color leather to match, and since nobody sits in those seats anyway you won't have to worry about quality too much. ;)

G

·
_bullet_ride_ said:
One of the greatest things about the mx-6 is the leather seats in the LS. Driver side is eight-way power, and they have got to be some of the most comfortable seats ever to grace an automobile. They are practically racing seats, they give so much support. Anyhow, merely covering the factory cloth seats in leather will not give you I think what you want, cause the seats themselves are totally different. You should either find some at a junk yard (so many people refuse to go to junk yards because of the name, but you can often get some quality stuff for dirt cheap) or another option that somebody else put forth...BUY LEATHER RACING SEATS. I would advise this option to somebody who is willing to spend many hundreds of dollars (around 700). You could also have the rear seats upholstered in the same color leather to match, and since nobody sits in those seats anyway you won't have to worry about quality too much. ;)
Yeah, the factory leather seats are incredible. It's not just the leather, but the support!! I couldn't imagine an MX-6 without them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
tlk said:
_bullet_ride_ said:
Yeah, the factory leather seats are incredible. It's not just the leather, but the support!! I couldn't imagine an MX-6 without them.
I've never really been too happy with the support of the power leather seats in my '93LS. The side supports are great, but there isn't nearly enough support in the lumbar area. I always get a sore lower back after lengthy trips (over 1 hour or so), and I usually end up putting a small pillow behind my back for extra support. I've been wondering how hard it would be to stuff some extra foam or something in the lower back section, then stiching it back together?

G

·
Mike 93LS said:
tlk said:
_bullet_ride_ said:
I've never really been too happy with the support of the power leather seats in my '93LS. The side supports are great, but there isn't nearly enough support in the lumbar area. I always get a sore lower back after lengthy trips (over 1 hour or so), and I usually end up putting a small pillow behind my back for extra support. I've been wondering how hard it would be to stuff some extra foam or something in the lower back section, then stiching it back together?

More foam can be added to nearly any seat. There's a guy here where I live who started his Restoration business by just doing interior work for a number of years. He's got all kinds of catalogs and sources of info for various materials. Any upholstery place should be able to help.

It sounds like maybe your seat(s) is just worn? I have some major back problems (a bunch of steel rods and metal fused to my vertebrae), but the seats in mine are perfectly comfortable and supportive.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hey i can get you a quote

hey man king...i own a motorsport company, the cheapest i can even get it for would be $600 plus tax and shipping. this would include all four seats in whatever color you want(40 to choose from), and the 600 could also get you a 2 toned car, seats black with red strip down the middle for instance. so if you're interested, i can hook you up dude. btw, it also includes replacing the cloth on the door panels as well.

chri§

G

·
Seats...

syliconex, do you have a picture of what the seats look like? I am interested, but I would want to see them first....I think anybody would want to see them if they are interested....just want to know. Thanks...peace.
-krazy

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm interested, too...

But I'd like to see them as well... Just thought I'd let ya know...

·
Registered
172 Posts
give me a day

ok i don't have pictures of our exact car but i can scan in the different leather colors and an example of something in another car or what the two tone stuff would look like. just give me a day or 2 to scan in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys aren't gonna belive this one...I went to the Mazda dealer today inquiring about how much a new, original MX-6 leather seat costs and guess...!

...$5,000 (Five thousand!)--> FOR 1 BLOODY SEAT!

Mazda Bastards!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's blooding ****ing insane!!!

I can't believe I own a car made by these people!!! Sorry, going crazy... That blows... Junkyard, here I come!!! Or maybe siliconex... Silicone, getting more interested in your seats by the second, hehe...

·
Registered
172 Posts
ok here's the deal

ok anyone interested in getting the leather interior stuff, my dealer is Katzkin Leather, they have a website at http://www.katzkin.com you can look around there and see if you're happy with what they're seats look like. (they're pictures will look better than my scanned in ones) also, don't pay any attention to their prices because like i said i get a certain discount. my friend just ordered a leather kit from them for his 92 prelude and it included everything but the floor, plastic panels, and ceiling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try to find leather seats from a 90-96 300ZX if they'll fit. They're power and extremely comfortable. That was my last car. Twin Turbos ......kick....innn.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts