Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best thing I ever did for my 95 MX-6 LS is to despair at the amount of work needed, and give my parts car to my teenage son. Now he bugs me about both of them, which has been causing me to consistently make progress on my own. But I am nevertheless proceeding deliberately, because I like this car.

My son's true love is 1950s pickups. But as I often point out to him, you might drive a 5 year old car because it's cheaper. You might drive a 15 year old car because you're broke. But if you're driving a 25+ year old vehicle, it's because you want to and can afford to.

It's time to install the JSPEC headlights.

Problem is, I don't like any of the brackets I have seen posted. I want something that could almost pass for OEM. I have never seen a JSPEC car so I don't know how they did it. My car has AC, so the condenser mounts are in the way. I've thought about removing the AC (and the PS for that matter) to simplify things, but it's far easier to hack something up than clean it back up.

Anyway: How to make clean OEM-ish JSPEC headlight mounts for a car with AC?

I mocked it up with several iterations of wood paneling, then committed to sheet metal and created this last week:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car

That one has a few flaws, so tonight I worked on left side. This one is cleaner. I'm taking notes. Pardon my crappy welds; most of my welding experience has been on thicker steel.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Left side is welded and painted. I hope to grab some shop time tomorrow, get this installed, and then work on the electrical.

Composite material Auto part Metal Aluminium Wood

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, that looks even better than the espec oem variant. What did you do for bulbs? keep the halo or jump to hid?
For the time being, I've still got the halogens. Even that will be worlds better than the ASPEC; those are like trying to find your way while burning a whale-blubber candle.

I do want to upgrade but I haven't done sufficient research yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts