Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I did a search. Do 2nd gen 6's have some kind of factory car alarm? I think my 6 might have an aftermarket car alarm, but I wanted to check with you guys first. It is really, REALLY annoying. Twice already I have triggered it somehow (I'm still not sure exactly how..), and now I keep a size 13mm wrench with me to take off the negative battery cable, since this is the only way I can get it to stop:damnmad:! Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine goes off whenever I lock the car with the key out of the ignition and then open the door or unlock it from the inside, or if I reach in the window and pop the hood. It always turns off when I put the key in the lock or the ignition, I can't remember which

·
Registered
70 Posts
myne also does that well it did till some wire burned on the harness wich blows my main fuse out and now i dont have any interior lights but i also wondered if they came factory.... also if ur car is like ours juss turn the key in the ignnition

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hood Latch sensor

Yes I did a search. Do 2nd gen 6's have some kind of factory car alarm? I think my 6 might have an aftermarket car alarm, but I wanted to check with you guys first. It is really, REALLY annoying. Twice already I have triggered it somehow (I'm still not sure exactly how..), and now I keep a size 13mm wrench with me to take off the negative battery cable, since this is the only way I can get it to stop:damnmad:! Any ideas?
The Hood Latch sensor is the one you have to disconnect to trick the factory alarm to think the hood is open. The alarm won't arm everytime you open the door. Looking at the hood latch, you basically see nothing resembling a sensor. But believe me, it's inside it, or better, behind the red buttlerfly kind of thing. You have to unscrew the blue bolts, and then you'll see the connector, which you disconnect, and keep it that way until you figure out how to fix your door lock. If you do, please tell me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Ok, awesome dude. I'll see about giving that a shot.

sirjohnmichalot, I remember locking my door before it happened, so that must be how it gets armed.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
it's a factory alarm that is armed when you lock the door. deactivated when you unlock or put the key in the key hole. if you open the door without unlocking, such as if your window is down when you locked the car, and you just happen to reach in the car and open the door, you haven't actually disarmed the alarm, and yes it will go off and is quite annoying. I've done it a few times. if you lock it and look at the dash, a security light will flash every 5-10 seconds or so. Orange light around where the fuel light is.

·
Registered
418 Posts
if i unlock my car from the drivers side door it goes off. if i unlock it from the passenger side door first it doesnt....weird, also if i lock the passenger side door then shut the door it unlocks when it slams

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
that's some crazy stuff. maybe something is wired wrong or it's just going wacko. Do you have the remote unlock for the car? sometimes, when I unlock the car and I don't get in right away, it locks by itself. The only times I've heard of cars unlocking themselves is when the power locks are wired incorrectly :p Or maybe the electronics are just going bad...

·
Registered
8 Posts
no, the passenger side is supposed to unlock itself. My old 89 626 did that, except with both doors, and my 93 mx6 does it with the passenger door. You have to hold the handle up while you close the door to prevent it from unlocking. I'm not sure what the purpose of this feature is, but I suspect that it only does it on the passenger side because the drivers side lock isn't powered. my old 626 did it, but it didn't have power locks, so it probably had some mechanical mechanism to make it unlock when you close the door, which yours doesn't have, since it's powered

I hope this made sense xD

·
Registered
418 Posts
ive had no problem with my 95 but the 93 is whack

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
no, the passenger side is supposed to unlock itself. My old 89 626 did that, except with both doors, and my 93 mx6 does it with the passenger door. You have to hold the handle up while you close the door to prevent it from unlocking. I'm not sure what the purpose of this feature is, but I suspect that it only does it on the passenger side because the drivers side lock isn't powered. my old 626 did it, but it didn't have power locks, so it probably had some mechanical mechanism to make it unlock when you close the door, which yours doesn't have, since it's powered

I hope this made sense xD
what? supposed to unlock when you close the door? ....... i should check that out. I've always locked my doors with the remote or from the driver side. The only time i've seen the passenger side door unlock itself is when i unlock the driver side door from the inside, and it unlocks the passenger too. Never have I had the doors unlock themselves. I have a 96 LS though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Do what I do - leave it unlocked when you open the hood. I know, it's annoying, but I like it - theft deterrent, and something I need in Flint (already had someone break into my car to steal the cigarette lighter adapter - left everything else as was except my broken window). That's right, they shattered a $50 window (junkyard) to get a $1 part. One which, honestly, had they outright asked for I would've given to them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Door lock from inside

It seems that there are enough of us in this thread with the same “factory-alarm-triggered- at-5 o’clock-in-the-morning-by-opening-the-driver’s-door-lock-of-an-MX6-during-the-winter”.

I couldn’t fully understand what everyone of you were saying in your posts because now I realize I suffer some kind of dyslexia, but to simplify things a little bit, I’ll assume that all of us have the same problem of our alarms triggered by ourselves, and we are already tired of temporary solutions like trying to open the car from the passenger side, or rapidly opening the hood to disconnect the battery so the neighbors won’t curse us once again, not to count tricks like removing ice from the door lock or warming it up somehow, or having already ordered another key from the dealer or getting another copy from Walmart or the local locksmith.

So I guess most of you have already disconnected the hood latch sensor. I already did it, and I’ve had peaceful mornings. But still the final solution depends on fixing the door lock.

I don’t know how the door lock works in concert with the factory alarm. And that’s one reason I haven’t attempted fixing it, the other reason being the cold outside. But to get things going, let’s assume for a moment that because of the extreme cold during this winter, rust and wear accumulated for more than 10 years of useful life of our Mx6’s, the door lock is in a position to trigger the alarm. No brainer here.

Let me put forward this hypothesis. Let’s assume that inside the door lock 2 things need to rotate when the key is turned to open the door. Because of wear, ice and rust, those two things got into a position that is interpreted by the ECU as unauthorized entry. In my opinion, the solution is to figure out what needs to be realigned to allow the lock not to trigger the alarm when the key is turned (greasing with WD-40 doesn’t do it), or to make those 2 things to rotate at the same time. This picture in the Haynes manual is the best information I could find. The workshop manual doesn’t have anything better. Any ideas?.

EDIT: I just recalled that I'd seen this TSB for Ford Probe about greasing the door lock cylinder. I haven't really tried because I presume it's not going to work. But I'll share it with you in case anybody has success with it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can always do what I did and find the wires that go from the connector in pic above and tie them together--wire nut. That disables door lock and security system for you to be free to install aftermarket w/door lock/unlock. Plenty of room in door to wire actuator also. ;^)

·
Registered
236 Posts
micro-switches

You can always do what I did and find the wires that go from the connector in pic above and tie them together--wire nut. That disables door lock and security system for you to be free to install aftermarket w/door lock/unlock. Plenty of room in door to wire actuator also. ;^)
I think I'll do what you suggest. I don't think I need the alarm too much. Who would want to steal a beaten 1993 mx6 anyway? But I do want the keyless entry system which I think I'm ready to do. For those of you who still want to repair the microswitches damaged by the cold, I found this TSB. I don't know how much they might cost.

And this is my plan for keyless entry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alarm problem repair... That works for a while

Hello, I'm new here. I have been having a problem with my alarm too. When I unlock the door the alarm will immediately go off. I know the exact problem... The pictures above show a part that mounts on the end of the lock All it is a simple switch which tells the alarm to shut off. I have completely removed this before and fount that their are two wires to solder back on and reseal the RTB around the wires in the plastic. I don't want to do that again, I was just saying if someone wants to try it it will work. I am going to try the hood switch thing. or try to find the part which i don't think i will be able to.

Secondly if your locks are freezing up in the winter HEAVILY saturate them with WD40 and the problem goes away. And try not to wash your car in the months that is freezes regularly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
if i unlock my car from the drivers side door it goes off. if i unlock it from the passenger side door first it doesnt....weird, also if i lock the passenger side door then shut the door it unlocks when it slams
Your problem is lock cylinder has an elactric switch in it. after time it goes bad and must be replaced or remove the lower center fuse on fuse box, it also controls yhe overhead lights and radio. Get a new lock cylinder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts