Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to buy new front upper and lower coil spring rubber seats?
Even for the 1997-2002 626, I have a set of 6th gen performance coil springs, I threw the fronts on the new body for the 1989 mx6 before stripping the car to paint it. The coils fit the strut and upper perch (fit on the car) but are so long, the car sat like a 4x4 in the front and the springs where stiff as hell and these are lowering springs.
So the 6th gen rubber seats will fit the 1988-1982 upper mounts and strut perch.

I have a bunch of 30 + year old rubber coil spring seats but they are soft and warn or dried out and cracked or embedded with rust.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Is this what you are looking for carnage?
Unfortunately no.
I this diagram the upper is part number 34-012:

There is another rubber seat that goes below the spring on some years/trim, possibly automatic, it's not used on all but I have seen and gathered many over the years but they are all soft, limp stretched and worn (that doesn't sound right).
Until now I never reinstalled parts number 34-111, 34-015, 34-012 including whatever part number the lower rubber seat is on my cars when swapping struts and springs (or the matching rear components).

But on the 1988 626GT I need to raise and stiffen the front end. I cut two bearing seats out of parts # 34-340, I will weld them to another set of 34-340's, they are 0.17" thick, I figure with new rubber above and below the coil springs I should have an extra 1/4" of preload on the coil with the cars weight on them, hopping this will increase the travel load by about 50lbs to make up for the fact the control arm bushing will have 0 up down travel resistance. Factory control arm bushings (new) start at 0 resistance and I would estimate (based on moving them with my foot or hands and testing them in a vice) have a down and up resistance of about 150lb at 1" of travel up or down.
1/4" is the most I feel I can reduce the coil perch distance without raising the front end more than the rear or over binding the front coil springs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts