Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I took my car into the dealership to get a "rattle" sound from under the car. It turns out it debris in the Cataylic converter. Now, they said it would cost about $1000.00 (CANADIAN) to replace! IS this true?? I should be alright as I have the best extended warrenty coverage. GOLD PLUS. They said it should cover the cost of it however, they have to call the company tomarrow and find out.
All i can say is it better damm well cover the cost of it. What else am I paying the $2500.00 extra in warrenty coverage for?
Do you know what could have caused it to get "debris" inside???? And sort of a dumb question, what the hell does it do?

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
488 Posts
The cataylic converter helps reduce the emissions that the car puts out. Most often it fails as a result of a bad O2 sensor telling the car that the air/fuel mix is different than it is and the car dumps more fuel thatit can burn. Eventually it gets in to the cat and clogs it up which causes the honeycomb structure inside of it to deteriorate and break apart. Most likely this is where you loose rattling pieces came from. While the car is there you might as well have them pull the malfunction codes from the computer and see if any of the O2 sensor codes come up. That way they can replace them at the same time. But only if the warrenty covers it, if it doesn't let us know and we'll direct you to much cheaper alternatives than the stock parts.:)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JDean,

Greg is right on the money about how a cat can fail, but you might want to check one other thing out.

Cat converters run quite hot, and because of this, they usually have a thin sheet-metal heatshield riveted to their topside to protect the underside of the car. This shield is usually pretty thin and easily corrodes. When it does, it can start rattling pretty bad. Usually it rattles most at certain RPM points, especially when you're accelerating.

It doesn't mean the cat itself is bad. Usually, the heatshield can be ripped off with no problems. Just a suggestion...try taking it to a muffler shop to see if it's just the shield rattling. It might be the cat internals are toast, but this is worth checking...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think Their Lying,

Okay, see, i've had to bring it in about 3 other times to get a rattle fixed right, and all 3 times they told me they had to cut a loose piece of metal from the exaust. (it was one of them metal ties that they put around the frount of the exaust.....it's got a new exaust system...anyway,)..everytime it solved the problem (for a while..)...and now i thought this is what it was again....only it sounded a little louder. It only does it between 1st and 2nd gear! When i got the car back yesterday, they said the heat shield was a bit loose so they tightened that up, but that the Cat-Coverter had failed! If I only knew a little more about this i'm sure i could figure it out my damm self. Okay, well....let me know what you think about this explanation and I'll be sure to give them a piece of my mind! It has to be covered under the "GOLD PLUS" extended warrenty. (best I could get) I think when I take it into the shop next, i'm going to ask to see it! After they've got it up on the hoist, i wanna take a look for myself under the hood!
Thanks,
Little Bastard,

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Doing it between 1st and 2nd gear sounds alot like the modus operandi of a loose cat heatshield.

This "debris in the converter" business sounds fishy to me. In order to prove that, to know it for sure, they'd have to take the cat off the car and visually examine the bed for signs of break-up.

If they do end up replacing the cat under warranty (not a bad deal if it costs you nothing), write down on the bill when you sign for the work that you demand to see the old unit from the car so you can see for yourself the guts.

Can you take it to a Speedy or Midas <*shudder*> exhaust shop to get a "second opinion" on it? The dealer says they "tightened" the heatshield...that, again, sounds fishy. Dealers are money making machines and are sometimes a bit overzealous to replace parts. I'd get the second opinion.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
_bullet_ride_ said:
I agree with mike in all respects...except one. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO MIDAS!!! NEVER!!!!!!
Hehehe. True...that's why I put <*shudder*> after "Midas". I'd never get work done by that place but if you just need access to a hoist to look under it :D, maybe they can be trusted LOL

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Midas is a joke!.. I remember back in th eday I went to them to get my muffler welded on and they wanted to charge me $200 for the welding, installation and addition of th epipe until th eresonator. I told them "No, I don't want to have a new pipe added to the resonator. I just wanted the existing pipe cut and the new muffler welded on" They started getting loud at me saying that THEY are the mechanics and they know what's best. I calmly waited until they dropped the car down from the hoist and started her up. On my way out I started yelling at the guys ti the top of my lungs saying they were a bunch of frauds and cheats!.... tHEN i WENT TO A LOCAL MUFFLER SHOT AND GOT IT WELDED IN FOR $30 BEANS.... midas blows!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts