Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from work the other day and as I come to a stop you can hear a really faint rattle, seems to be a bit louder and more frequent when the Aircon is on.

Odd thing is the noise is only evident under 1000rpm, hence can only be heard at idle.

Took a quick look this afternoon, the noise appears to be coming from the Accessory belt area. I did have a new water pump and new belts fitted a few weeks ago, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
check your alternator?

Driving home from work the other day and as I come to a stop you can hear a really faint rattle, seems to be a bit louder and more frequent when the Aircon is on.

Odd thing is the noise is only evident under 1000rpm, hence can only be heard at idle.

Took a quick look this afternoon, the noise appears to be coming from the Accessory belt area. I did have a new water pump and new belts fitted a few weeks ago, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Check you aircon (and other) pulleys. Could be a bearing showing some wear.

Grab the pulley and see if it has "sideways" movement. If so (even if minor) best to probably change out.

Check all parts recently fitted to ensure bolts/nuts are still tight. If they were not torqued correctly, they may work themselves loose.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Hate to say it, but it could be the hydraulic timing belt tensioner arm too.

Edit: I had the same issue on mine, and it was the upper tensioner pulley bearing that needed to be replaced. If you use a stethoscope to listen to the noise, it should be pretty evident where the sound is coming from.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it detrimental to the car? Is it safe to drive in the meantime without causing any damage?

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Until you've found out what the problem is, we can't say if it's detrimental or not. Right now it could be a number of things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts