Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! Helpful MEXERS...
I have just successfully changed the rear head cover gasket,"PHEW!!!! It was a big job but no prob thanks to the help I got from you guys".
Before I pulled out the intake the engine sometimes idled a bit fast {900rpm}, but a quick flick of the accelerator and it would settle down {550rpm}.
But now it runs at about 900rpm and occasionally 1000rpm,I'v adjusted the idle screw right off and checked for air leaks {as best I can}. What do you think could be wrong?? , Do you know of a good way to check for air leaks?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW my MEX is running better than ever {IM assuming is because I cleaned out the air intake}
THANKS GUYS!!
P.K. :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
since no ones replying to your post let me try and help u out... bascially all you need to do is adjust the idle screw, but if that doesnt seem to help it, then there is most likely a vacumn leak and air is being lost somewhere... I had a similar problem but my idling was extremely rough.. does your tach needle fluctuate when idling? if so an air leak is a good possibility.. i suggest getting a compression check... peas

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks speedstar
It's idling quite smooth, and later on today it settled down and might be O.K. I'm not sure but maybe the computer had to re adjust or something after the open heart surgery???? It still doesn’t quite seam right...time will tell.
Thanks mate PK
:cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
hi,

i have a similar problem. but my rpm needle idles fine at the beginning. but when i drive it more and more, the idle rpm goes up and up when i idle again. the highest it ever went and stayed there was around 1500rpm...

could this be a result of a possible air leak?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
NP...

hey P.K.. if u did reset the ECU (disconnect the negative terminal of the battery) it may cause this but i'd do what your doing and let the ECU remap itself and learn everything again and then in a day or too let me know what happened... and Eleven... i doubt your problem is an air leak... does it idle smoothly or roughly when it goes that high and do u have an ATX or MTX? it seems as your engine gets warmer and warmer the problems occur since u mentions at the beginning referring to a cold engine its fine.. so far im stumped on your problem, but let me ask a friend... hmmm any imput on that problem guys?

·
Registered
114 Posts
hi

my 6 is a mtx.

Just to clear things up, my car idles smoothly AT ALL TIMES......but after i took my car into the shop for replacing the rear VCG, the idle seems to be very high.

when i start the car, the idle needle is around 1000rpm....after it warms up, it idles around 500-600rpm....but then after i drive it around a bit, the needle raises to 1000rpm at idle and stays there, and then after i drive it more and more, it raises to around 1500rpm at idle and it also stays there.......

·
Registered
921 Posts
Eleven

Try searching on probetalk for a vacuum hose diagram. Maybe you forgot the small ones on the back of the manifold. It fixed my raising idle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts