Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy I work with that owns a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. We got to talking about cars and he told me he ran a 14.3 (he thinks) on his STOCK Protege. I'm sure he's mistaken since he can't find his slip. I was doing research on these cars and I found that they run 16.1 ish stock and those with a few mods are mid 15's. That means these cars that I've been drooling over are about as fast as our cars. My point is that I'm a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong I love all the Sparco,RH,Garret,Mazdaspeed, etc. stuff on the car but...16.1? WTF!

Maybe I'll buy one used in a couple of years and build it up then.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Mazdaspeed Protege was not made to be a strip car, but more of a rally car. They built it specifically for handling, so although its a 16 second car stock, it can outhandle a lot of 6s, with the exception of people like Gavin and AdamTurbo.

=]

-Zook

·
Registered
32 Posts
I Don't know for sure if this is true, but a friend of mine who's a mechanic at Mazda told me the car is only running 4psi of boost.
(Stock protege:130hp + (4psi x 10hp) = 170hp, seems possible).
This car is not that fast, but If i'ts true, there's much room for improvement. This car has a CR of 9.1:1 so i might not be as safe as our car around 14-16psi, but the 4 valve and higher CR will probably make up for it anyway. As far as brand new car are concerned, this is probably as close as you can get to one of our car. If I had the money for a new car right now, I'd go with the MS protege or the new SRT-4, Even though i'm not usually a big fan of dodge.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Properly driven, Im sure it could. But I saw one run at the drags in person and it was a low 16 run, so who knows.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I remember seeing in an auto magazine that it's supposed to run 15.8 stock.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
15.9 (at 3900 ft elev)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
turbogt22 said:
There's a guy I work with that owns a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. We got to talking about cars and he told me he ran a 14.3

lie = never happen.mazda speed protege will not run no where near 14.3.its only possible if its semi modded....boost controller,and exhause/intake.

·
Registered
411 Posts
14.3 stock not posible, maybe 14.9 most range from 15.0 to 15.3 for ****ty drivers yes a 15.9 but stock they run from 14.9 to 15.3....motor trend hit the 14.9 on the aug issue.....when my wife ran her msp she hit a 15.7 out here in vegas at high altitude (2300ft above sea level) sea level thats a bout a 15.2 15.3...but other than that my 6 against her msp i beat her all the time i give her head starts:D

·
Registered
737 Posts
I double checked an old issue of SCC, it says 15.8, it's a year and a half old though, maybe that was just a projection.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've claimed two of these at our local 1/8th drags... pathetically slow in a straight line.

G

·
I have an MSP, looking to get an mx6 as well. Overall, stock the car is quite slow. I think my best time was a 15.9. But, run boost of about 9 psi, add a bigger intercooler, change that restrictive exaust, and add a recirculating bov and you should break 13s. best time ive seen on paper so far with mods was 14.1, i know it can be better
the car handles great though, crisp steering and stiff springs makes it all worth the money.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
No doubt the car handle great but as far as stock accelleration,it not that quick.cut i can say this though ,though cars has potential.also a turbo mp3 has break in a low 13s category.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts