Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here and I have a 1997 Mazda MX6 2.5 V6. It is quite tatty and has a few issues but I hope over the next year or so to get it looking and driving well.

One Issue I have is the Heater controls are broken. The slider only engages the fan between 3 & 4 so I only have the option of on full or off.

Has anyone else come across this issue and if so is it an easy fix?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
hi Dave, where in the UK are you?

The heater problem could be the switch or the blower motor. An old astra I had did the same thing, full speed or nothing and it was the switch thingy on the motor itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm based just outside Norwich in Norfolk.

I thought it would most likely be the switch itself but I have no idea how to get the switch out and look at it. I hope that it is just a dodgy contact and the issue can be resolved by giving it a bit of a clean-up.

On a side note... Does anyone know how hard it is to totally remove a car alarm from an MX-6. My car has been stuck in one place for quite a while because the Alarm will not disarm.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
the 1st bit is easy, I have a spare heater controller if you need it. Theres a thread at the bottom of the main UK page on how to remove the dash surround to get to the heater panel.

The alarm is a job for an autoelectrician as you might have problems with the immobiliser if you remove the alarm. I wouldnt risk it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi DTPmx. The guys on this site are aways friendly and helpful.

If the fan works between notches 3 and 4, then the blower motor is definitely working. On my mx6 it turned out to be the blower resistor and not the switch. The switch should be swapped or tested first, if the slider still doesnt work, try the blower resistor next.

On the 1997 V6 model, the resistor is under the passenger footwell and attached to the blower. Is your aircon working?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, the dash is off and I have the heater controller out. I have taken the blower control apart in a effort to diagnose the issue and hopefully fix it. I can't see where the problem might lie but below are the pic of the bits and maybe someone can spot something I can't. Also I have no idea how to put the damn thing back together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the disassembled unit into work today. We have a service department downstairs in the building (normally working on TV's etc) who reckon they can fix it and put it back together. If they can then RESULT!!

Will post details if it worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts