Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd throw up a thread for reference sake incase someone wanted to mimic my rwd drivetrain set-up.

The car is a 1990 miata, has a JDM FE-DOHC with a 2.2L probe aluminum flywheel, 2001 miata 6 speed transmission ( yes it fits), miata clutch, mx6 2.2L starter, 2005 GSXR 1000 ITB's on lower stock ported fe manifold, 1.8 miata Raceland ss 4-2-1 header, 2.5" ss exhaust, FE3 cams, miata coilpack, custom made aluminum oil pan (tried the kia steel pan but it was a waste of time as I made it myself and fubar'd a few things).

The difference with this swap is the transmission. Everyone told me it would not work, well they werre kinda right I guess, it did take me a whole 2 hours to measure and drill out the holes in the bellhousing to make it bolt staright up to the FE block :p

Its pretty easy to tell once you have both pieces infront of you that they have very similar bolt p[atterns and where they do differ the trans has "blanks" where holes can be drilled after some tranfer punches.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw it out there that the 6 speed is do-able :p

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Any major mounting differences? I'm interested in this swap down the road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any major mounting differences? I'm interested in this swap down the road.
Nothing serious. Made some motor mounts, oilpan clearance is tricky unless u want to shim your subframe or cut your hood, my set-up requires neither, lowest fe3 miata I've ever seen.

All in all its good motor but I think for the work I'd rather have done a k swap (300NA whp would be pretty decent), so in a couple years I think thats the plan. Motors tend not to last very long in my car :S

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Nothing serious. Made some motor mounts, oilpan clearance is tricky unless u want to shim your subframe or cut your hood, my set-up requires neither, lowest fe3 miata I've ever seen.

All in all its good motor but I think for the work I'd rather have done a k swap (300NA whp would be pretty decent), so in a couple years I think thats the plan. Motors tend not to last very long in my car :S
K swap? You aren't talking about getting 300whp n/a out of a KLZE, are you?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like an F-swap would be easier, since it's already a RWD motor.
Not really no. FWD motors work just fine as rwd motors, would require similar modifications to make it fit in the miata as a k motor, and k's have much more N/A potential.

sweet, finally another ITB'er! what ecu are you using?
I'm using megasquirt. Have had it in the car for about 3-4 years now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the two top holes that need to be drilled out, on the opposite side of that flange there are already holes they just didnt drill them out from the factory.

You could get creative and also make the top engine holes fit but I wanted to keep the transmission in good enough shape that just incase this didnt work i could still mount it to a miata motor again.

Motor mounts were fairly simple, set the motor in then tacked up some plate, used the oem bottom section of the mounts, which is where the urethane is, no these are not solid mounts lol.

Kind of how they sit.

My friend cutting the oem manifold.

Milling it down

Cleaned out runners

When I first got it running, runs and sounds like ass yes lol, havent taken any recent videos, once I'm done fixing everything I broke via running into a curb the other week :S I'll get some driving vids.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/dc2696/?action=view&current=004.mp4

Also,

The reason for this swap, 350rwhp on stock oilpump = lots of expensive paper weights now :(

-Dean

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats awesome mate well done on the swap.

Did the lower bolts on the tranny line up as well?

Nice looking extractors you have too!
The two lower main bolts yes.

did you change the flange & use a BP header??
BP header with holes slotted and drilled and runners gasket matched as port spacing is a tiny bit off. No leaks so I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

short video on the highway taken last summer, 5th gear pull and yea its slow, what else can you expect from an N/A 2.0L haha

back when I first got it running two summers ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great stuff man, sounds good! Ive got my first startup vid from 2004 somewhere but its too embarrassing to post, sounds like a busted tractor due to VERY out of sync throttles haha. I should take some new ones this year, because as you know, it sounds like the devil himself playing overdrive bass under the hood! Any plans for air filters?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great stuff man, sounds good! Ive got my first startup vid from 2004 somewhere but its too embarrassing to post, sounds like a busted tractor due to VERY out of sync throttles haha. I should take some new ones this year, because as you know, it sounds like the devil himself playing overdrive bass under the hood! Any plans for air filters?
Thanks man, ya the first start up video is so shitty, map based fuel injection is not giving me the greatest throttle response lol.

Definitely post up some current videos! Do you have a build thread or more details about your ITB set-up?

Dean

1 - 20 of 32 Posts