Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice job- car sounds good! Did the 6.5k add an extra shift? How much does the car weight?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Car weights about 2680. Rear fully gutted. I don't think 6.5k wasn't adding any extra shift. It has more potential as power just keeps climbing at higher RPM's. I should be in the low 12's. I'm just surprised how well the car is coming along as I'm tuning it myself :D Hey shwine your using the same stand alone right " SDS " can I see your settings :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
The HP keeps rising beyond 6500? Which cams? intake manifold?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I know. And my power curve was going great until around 6k, then flattened and fell. I have a manifold and throttle body which I hope corrects some of that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turbo: SC61 76trim
Injectors: 750cc
Intake manifold: stock
Cams: FE3N

You got that right M2cupcar. On street radials I just spin tires, even on third gear at high rpm's. I should get on the dyno to see what numbers I'm pushing.

I should do the Mustang TB mod. Anyone here noticed any difference with that mod? Looks like the stock TB is very restrictive.

·
Registered
379 Posts
38hp?! good god! That's amazing...

On the B engine side of things, I know a guy that gained 30hp (from 270 to 300) on a Miata from adding a short runner manifold and 70mm (ford) throttle body. One guy gained over 15 swapping from a stock intake manifold to a gutted manifold- these look very similar to the FE manifolds AND what the guys are doing to them. I think all those items will show gains- and their easy and cheap. I picked up a stock 65mm ford TB with all sensors for $16 delivered on egay.

shwine- what kind of exhaust are you running? I've got a straight pipe that I could put on just to see how much my muff is killing power BUT "my" tuner swore it was the intake side choking the engine. You never know til you try... gotta remember that.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i have a completely ported/gutted stock intake with a ford 65mm tb. That made a huge difference. stock fe3n cams. 2 1/2" outlet on the turbo to a 3" downpipe. straight 3" exhaust to a magnaflow muffler. also have a 3" cutout for track use.
just cause you spin 3rd gear doesn't mean your car makes peak power after 6500, you need a recorded dyno pull.

·
Registered
379 Posts
38hp?! good god! That's amazing...
Ractive- do I have to quote your posts to keep mine from looking misplaced? You wrote something about making a 38hp gain when going from a full exhaust to a straight dump pipe and now it's gone. Was that not the case? Just wondering, because I've got a fairly restrictive muffler and if you made that kind of gain from removing a high flow muff, then mine is probably killing my flow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This spring I'll see how the power & torque curve looks like on the dyno but until now, yes it doesn't mean I'm making peak power after 6500 without any data. Wish I still have my old dyno sheets to prove what I'm saying. But that was about 5 years ago and from what I remember the power curve did not drop. I had a different turbo at the time, SC44 @ 20psi.

M2cupcar- sorry I don't have the dyno sheet to prove the 38hp gain. The tuner at the dyno was surprised as how much of a difference it made. I remembered the 38hp because it was unbelievable as I was still learning about turbo cars. He also mentioned about the TB being restrictive and to removing the VICS. As for my exhaust setup I have a 2 1/2" downpipe to cutout then to 3" cat-back.

·
Registered
379 Posts
M2cupcar- sorry I don't have the dyno sheet to prove the 38hp gain. The tuner at the dyno was surprised as how much of a difference it made. I remembered the 38hp because it was unbelievable as I was still learning about turbo cars. He also mentioned about the TB being restrictive and to removing the VICS. As for my exhaust setup I have a 2 1/2" downpipe to cutout then to 3" cat-back.
I don't need a dyno sheet or proof. I just wondered if the statement still held true (or near it). If it were half that, it's still significant to see a full exhaust holding back flow that much. I'm running 3" right off the turbo, through a cat, resonator and full "turbo" style muffler (not even straight thru high flow). My tuner swore that the exhaust wasn't restrictive. Enough so, to convince me not to even bother pulling the muffler off. Either way, I think these engines flow enough with a good turbo setup to need restrictions removed on both ends.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I have stock TB with a gutted inlet manifold.
The exhaust side is going thru an internal gate to a split dump 2.5 and 1.5 inch, then into a 3 inch dump with a gutted cat and a 3 inch straight thru rear muffler.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm considering a 22" x 11" straight through oval muffler, but I hate loud cars. It's probably because I've raced (loud) cars for the last ten years and I prefer not to listen to it on the street. As it is now my engine is just about as loud as the exhaust when revving through the gears. It sounds good, but I don't know if it's good enough to give up 38hp ;) .

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Now you go to Hairy Glass, Jacksonville, Florida and get all his remaining stock for the Ford Probe that members of Probetalk and performanceprobe told him would be a good idea to manufacture in house, what he got was bent over. You can buy almost the entire front end in fiberglass, the hood in carbon fire, the rear end, everything. I'm not talking body kits here, Im talking actual panels. I bet if you called him up you could get everything to your door for about $1500, maybe less.

PART

^ You should do it! You'd be the only one. BUT...buy a cage if you do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts