Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a long hiatus and a new user name I'm back on this forum with a current project, an FE3/FE-DOHC powered FC RX7.

While researching bits and pieces I found nobody has actually posted a solid, easily repeatable RWD gearbox solution for the FE3, nor have they shown how to successfully transplant one into an FC RX7.

A quick search of "F2T Head Swap" should find some of my previous efforts in building an F2T-DOHC engine. Sadly as the vehicle it was intended for was destroyed it is still sitting under the workbench looking for a home, the extra deck height of the F2T block makes it an additional challenge for an FC repower project.

Onto the current project!

A S4 Mazda RX7 rolling body which had been stripped and fitted with a basic Cro-Mo Roll Cage as the previous owner had planned on using it for endurance racing.

I've been racing RX7's on and off for 16 odd years and collected a lot of parts along the way so I decided to dump them into one pile and call it the Skid Pig.

• Here's a couple of random pics of the work so far, I won't bother breaking it down too far unless somebody is interested in anything in particular until I get to the more particular points of the build eg the custom Mazda gearbox etc.
Toyota 4AGE 20V throttle bodies.

CNC bent Exhaust Manifold (in progress) to suit S5 FC RX7 Turbo.

Modified strut towers for additional camber & castor, also dual Wilwood master cylinders.

That should do for now, I'll take some more photos and add them soon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Don't do this...

As this vehicle is not going to be street legal, have no interior etc. We're simply hacking it to use the original CAS. Convert yours to use a crank trigger. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And now the moment you've been waiting for!

The ultimate (OEM Mazda parts at least) FE3 / FE-DOHC bolt up RWD solution consists of

A Mazda FD RX7 (1992 - 2002) Manual Transmission

And a Mazda Bongo / Ford Econovan Bellhousing

Stir them up in a large pot and bring to the boil and...

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts