Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering where you got your pistons from... if you got them off the net, and hopefully somewhere that will post Internationally.

What size pistons did you get, and what compression are you now running?

Thanks,
Tripharn

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Me, FallGuy, and Evo626 all have Venolia forged pistons. I believe evo got his for like $400 (either they came down in price or Jay got me for $200 b/c I paid $600 for mine 18 months ago). Mine are stock bore, 8.5:1 compression. I believe FallGuy has his specs in his sig.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Tripharn - Maybe find out from sleak-mx6 as his engine builder seems to have sourced them from somewhere.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Tim,

Yea, he got all his stuff done through Rigoli Racing... really good place, but damn they are expensive.

I was hoping to do most of it myself, and I'm not sure even if Rhys did any major mods to his engine anyway??? Including pistons for that matter.

88MX6GT - Hey thanks for that, did you buy them off the net? The cheapest price I can find around here (being Australia) is close to $1000AU which is about $600US... so if you can get them for $400 it may be cheaper to do it that way.

Do you have a webpage with all the stuff you have done to your engine? That way I don't have to harass everyone about what they did. Because I'm also interested in whether you replaced any of the studs, or ported the head? just replaced the valve springs etc.... Exhaust manifold, what IC you are using, gearbox, diff's etc... The list goes on, as you could probably imagine.

There is no great rush, as I still have the F2T in and I want to take my time and build up the FE3 properly.... and by that I mean close to 400hp and able to handle it. But any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Tripharn

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have an aol webpage but don't know the address off the top of my head, and I'm at work right now so I can't go check. However, I didn't get mine directly from Venolia, I got mine from JayB. Evo626 got his (I'm not sure how, whether directly or not) for like $400, so maybe PM him and ask.
On my engine I have the valve keepers changed and the valve springs, that it for the head. Engine is only new bearings, oil pump, water pump, t-belt, pistons and rings. Gearbox I went with an ACT Extreme Pressure Plate and 6-puck. I had a street disc and killed it within a month. I'll post my page later so you can read more and see it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I got mine directly from venoila. I used Fallguys order number that triple threat motorsports used to get his pistions. Total cost was right around $415 with chrome moly rings, wrist pins, and every thing else that is needed. Check probetalk.com the thread is in the 1st gen performance serach for a thread on FE3 pistons from venolia.
evo

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm actually going to be using Wiseco Pistons this time with Seal Power rings, just FYI.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not that I'm complaining...

But how long does it normally take for Venolia to reply to emails? I'm too keen on ringing them as I like to be sleeping at 2am in the morning (or drunk)... and that isn't even mentioning the phone bill to ring the otherside of the world.

Thanks,
Tripharn

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
b/c my Venolia's aren't in 100% condition anymore b/c of my two cracked rings I had due to the bad oil pump and horrible build job done. The shop had two sets of Wiseco's in stock for the FE, so I got one of them.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Yeah they aren't all that big on answering emails. This is what you want to email them:
Bill to:
Address
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone: hm

date:
Credit card#
exp

This order is for 4 pistons and all the nessary items listed to accomdate those 4 pistons. Please email or call me with any questions.
Job # : 125669
engine: Mazda DOHC 2.0L 16 Valve
Also need with that order: pin fit (x4), pin oiler (x4), wrist pin (x4)
and Chrome rings (for turbo/nitrous app) quoted (per each):
$10.55 for Top (x4)
$4.95 for second (x4)
$6.75 for oil (x4)

evo

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ok I got my pistons in today. They are from venolia. 8:5:1 comp forged with chrome moly rings.
Here is what I got for $441.43
4 Mazda 2. pistons 3.406
4 pin fit
4 pin oilers
4 4340-866 .866 x 2.500 pins
4 2550 top compression 1/16 chrome under
4 2800 2nd wiper ring 1/16 ci inder 4"
4 2902 oil rings 5/32 4mm std.
shipping

This look wonderfull. They are true pieces of art.
evo

·
Registered
261 Posts
Evo...double check your valve reliefs on them pistons. One of my sets they cut the intake reliefs wrong and I had to get them redone.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
BACK FROM THE DEAD.....

Evo, did they get your valve reliefs right on your order.. ?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Evo...

How much of a problem is it for them to do your order but at 8.2-1 comp ratio ?

Next week i should have and order placed with them. Just waiting on a Tripharn, who is away with army, to get back. So that we can get both sets done at the same time.

Also, whats the turn around time for production ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts