Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...
I one of FE3 user from Malaysia..
I change my F8 engine with 2.0 engine but still remain the F8 ecu and harness. I have some problem with my new FE engine..the engine seem like lost power at low rpm. This problem happen after i swap the existing FEAP intake cam with FE3N (taken from exhaust cam in previous F8 engine) and noe my FE have both FE3N for in and ex. What is actual happen to the engine? Is the FE3N cam cannot match with the F8 ecu? What can i do/check to solve my problem? Can adjustable cam pulley solve my problem? Anyone out there cross to this problem before?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Reprogram your fuel and timing curve. The difference between the FE3N and F8K1 are dramatic. The overlap is different, the lift and duration are mutch larger aswell. Unless you plan on going standalone i suggest putting the original cam back in.

On the other hand.

Did you verify the cam gear was installed correctly, and that the timing belt was installed correctly aswell.

·
Registered
379 Posts
+1
Sounds like cam timing to me- IF the power loss is that noticeable.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
After reading the first thread "thuroughly" i feel that cam timing is probably the first stop on the list. However i see quite a few differences between the F8-DOHC and FE-DOHC. The probelm could be sensors, injector size, compression, cam timing, or possibly even a bad engine. The do exsist you know ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading the first thread "thuroughly" i feel that cam timing is probably the first stop on the list. However i see quite a few differences between the F8-DOHC and FE-DOHC. The probelm could be sensors, injector size, compression, cam timing, or possibly even a bad engine. The do exsist you know ;)
Thanks guy..
now i got some point of view what is happening to my car...
there is thing i can do and cannot do at this time.
Forgot to mentioned that i still using F8 intake manifold and F8 injectors.
But i have FE3 intake with injectors just not change it yet.
Can adjustable cam pulley reduce the problem cause i'm in making a pair of it.
I have Apexi SAFC to reprogram the fuel but better tune in on dyno m/c.
Putting back the original cam you mean F8K1 or FEAP?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Did you verify the cam timing is correct?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I "orriginally" thought you put a different cam in an F8-DOHC but know i see you have done the 1.8-2.0 swap. in that case, the cam from the 1.8 should work better, if you keep the computer in. My oppinion is to get a standalone. The FE can reach into the 200's with the right bolt ons and some tuning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I "orriginally" thought you put a different cam in an F8-DOHC but know i see you have done the 1.8-2.0 swap. in that case, the cam from the 1.8 should work better, if you keep the computer in. My oppinion is to get a standalone. The FE can reach into the 200's with the right bolt ons and some tuning.
Standalone is the best way but not in the budget right now. What you mean by bolt on? F/I? or N/A? Right now i'll see first what i can do in current situation. The worse is using back the F8K1 cam in 2.0 block and swap back the FE3N cam if i goes standalone in future...hope so .
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using adjustable cam pulley..sorry noob question.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i send my car to workshop today to check the cam timing...it's correct.
my mechanic installed a pair of adjustble cam pulley to solve my problem...after fine tuning (not dyno yet)..my problem reduce a bit...the engine give me more response in low rpm. I know i have this kind of problem because i use F8K1 ecu. I read some thread, a pair FE3N cams give you great output. Can F8K1 harness use FE3 ecu? anyone have FE3's ecu picture? i want to compare the socket if it can match.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i send my car to workshop today to check the cam timing...it's correct.
my mechanic installed a pair of adjustble cam pulley to solve my problem...after fine tuning (not dyno yet)..my problem reduce a bit...the engine give me more response in low rpm. I know i have this kind of problem because i use F8K1 ecu. I read some thread, a pair FE3N cams give you great output. Can F8K1 harness use FE3 ecu? anyone have FE3's ecu picture? i want to compare the socket if it can match.
What pulleys did you use? I didn't know ther was an off the shelf brand.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Was it definitely a FE3N intake cam you were using and not an exhaust cam ?

This might have been the reason the timing was off and adjustable wheels were needed....

and yeah, where did your mechanic get those wheels from ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as mentioned before...i swapped my F8 engine with FE. I buy only the 2.0 engine without intake or harness/ecu. I take exhaust cam from F8 [F8K1(in) & FE3N(ex)] to swap with FEAP intake cam in my new 2.0 engine. So both of my cam in 2.0 are FE3N now but feel loss power at low rpm because still using F8K1 ecu. At the same time, i have 4pcs of OEM cam pulley wheels, 2pcs using in my car, 2pcs send to local engineering shop to modify (making new plate) and using SS allen key to become adjustable. Take 2 days to fabricate the cams with cost arround MY150 bucks. Here i try paste the pictures..hope can see it.
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/mezee_fe3/DSC00743.jpg
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/mezee_fe3/DSC00742.jpg
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/mezee_fe3/DSC00741.jpg

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
didn't the FE3N intake cam look different than the FE3N Exhaust cam? The cam pulley pegs might be different also. The problem might lie in exhauste cam settings on the intake side.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I am sure that would be the reason.....

There was someone else on this site who discovered that you could use the FE3N exhaust cam as and intake cam, and the pegs were different....it required the use of an adjustable cam wheel to position in the right spot.

I would tune the engine as best you can with the adjustable wheels, you should be able to get it to work, as others have....then maybe look at whether you need to use a different ECU

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am sure that would be the reason.....

There was someone else on this site who discovered that you could use the FE3N exhaust cam as and intake cam, and the pegs were different....it required the use of an adjustable cam wheel to position in the right spot.

I would tune the engine as best you can with the adjustable wheels, you should be able to get it to work, as others have....then maybe look at whether you need to use a different ECU
i think i forgot to ask in this thread...is FE3N cam same for ex and in?
did that guy use adjustable just for intake only..i think i need to read that tread u mentioned. Someone can give direction?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts