Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i had my mx6 for not even a year and already i had to 1) replace the water pump, 2) replace the clutch, 3) replace some pipe that busted, 4) replace the tranny, 5.) replace the clutch AGAIN, 6.) replace the water pump AGAIN and now i just replaced my rear pads and they are still squeling.. the guy said that the rotors are fine and also when i brake now.. i hear a loud grinding noise inside the car!.. i am sooooooo fed up with this car it is unbelievable!! sorry i love the 6 but come on... how much am i gonna have to dish out to keep on fixing this car????? :E

·
Registered
39 Posts
ask yourself these questions:
how hard do i drive the car?
the lifespan of your cars mechanicals is directly related to how hard you usse them. duh.
has it ever been flooded, totalled,etc?
check htttp://www.carfax.com

one suggestion i have is spend the extra money and have a dealer do the repairs. they usually have great warranty coverage on parts and labor (12mos/12k mi.)
they are not interested in doing repairs twice. but i still always watch what they're doing from start to finish so they cant mess something else up.

·
Registered
806 Posts
SHINER said:
ok i had my mx6 for not even a year and already i had to 1) replace the water pump, 2) replace the clutch, 3) replace some pipe that busted, 4) replace the tranny, 5.) replace the clutch AGAIN, 6.) replace the water pump AGAIN and now i just replaced my rear pads and they are still squeling.. the guy said that the rotors are fine and also when i brake now.. i hear a loud grinding noise inside the car!.. i am sooooooo fed up with this car it is unbelievable!! sorry i love the 6 but come on... how much am i gonna have to dish out to keep on fixing this car?????
  1. Replaced water pump? How many miles? This is generally replaced w/ the timing belt at or around 70K anyways, so that is general maintenance.
  2. The clutches on the manuals are pretty good, mine is starting to slip at about 159K, but I bought it used w/ 90K, so I don't really know how long it has been on there. Maybe original???
  3. What pipe?
  4. Replaced manual tranny? Even the manuals need to be serviced. It is a DIY job, just drain the old tranny oil and put in some new, Redline Oil seems to be the choice for good tranny life and performance.
  5. Clutch again? How hard do you use the clutch and what kind of clutch was put in? If you got a racing clutch, they are harsh and do not hold up for street use.
  6. Water pump for the second time in a year? Sounds like you got a defective unit, so you have to chalk that one up as faulty, not a bad car. Was the part warranteed?
  7. Rear pads still squealing? What year is the car and if 93-95, have you had the locking rear calipers fixed? If they are catching you might go through rear pads like candy until you get it fixed. What kind of pads did you have put on? If they are real cheapies they will squeal all the time and leave gracious amounts of dust behind. Are the discs scored or grooved?
  8. Grinding when you hit the brakes? If the rear is fine, check out your fronts since they handle 75% of your braking. It is a DIY job to do the fronts, just remember to torque your lugs down to prevent disc warpage. Check it out yourself on your brakes all the way around for disc damage and brake pad condition.
  9. The water pump is something of a maintenance item, but the second failure moves it out of that class. That happens when you put on parts, that's just the way it is sometimes. Our cars are pretty reliable, but they require more service than just changing the oil every 5K miles. I learned that the hard way with my first car, when the engine went clunk! (locked up)
  10. Sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of it and now you are reaping the benefits of an uncared for car.
It sucks to pour all kinds of money into a car just to keep it running(beyond general maintenance). Whenever I buy a used car I always run the 30K, 70K or whatever service on it as its hard to tell exactly what you're buying. I hope things turn around for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
i hear ya man...

Got an easy solution. Get some matches and open up the gas tank....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts