Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright gals, heres thee deal... i really really want to get into working with fiberglass, but i dont know exactly how to go about this... does anyone on this board know how to and could produce a step by step process type deal, or know of a site or a person in which to consult for a tutorial... any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im no expert but i do my own stuff ...by fiberglassing what do you mean moldin a kit,building speaker enclosures ,or just patching the holes that rot through our cars here in pittsburgh...let me know you live local so i could show you some of my work . help if i can. big molding project coming up on a 2002 cavi with a 99 drift kit...joe

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well hey again bud... thinking as i have the time, im only 15 and i have 3 more months til i can drive... and i have a job and so i have the $$$... im lookin to maybe do a new dash near the center console with room for a screen, a speaker enclosure... nothing HUGE like a kit.... but just little stuff with the time i have

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
1990/\/\x6 said:
alright gals, heres thee deal... i really really want to get into working with fiberglass, but i dont know exactly how to go about this... does anyone
Gals......hmmmm !
Fiberglass can be difficult to work with, until you learn the basics. Alot depends on what you're attempting to fabricate with the stuff. I'd suggest trying to search a bit harder for info, but the best way to learn is.............Hands on !
Just go out, buy a kit at Walmart and undertake a small project. Basically, there's the glass cloth which requires a resin mixed with a catalyst hardener. It's best to have a general support shape to form and layer the treated glass sheets upon.
Once you get the principles down and gain the knack of handling the stuff, your imagination is the limit as to what you can create.

·
Registered
601 Posts
yea I want to learn how to fiberglass too, the idea I have is pretty easy though.. (I think ) , all I want to do is cover up the center trunk area ( where the liscence plate is ) with fiberglass so the only rear lights I have are the ones on the sides, I hate the way the lights go all the way across the back of the car

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
itscard0man said:
yea I want to learn how to fiberglass too, the idea I have is pretty easy though.. (I think ) , all I want to do is cover up the center trunk area ( where the liscence plate is ) with fiberglass so the only rear lights I have are the ones on the sides, I hate the way the lights go all the way across the back of the car
same .... ive seen people that just paint over it... a white car? but it would look better if it were just flush with the body

i just want to know the basics... i can explore from there

·
Registered
601 Posts
its a black car, I was thinkin of doing that too, trying to figure out the easiest an best way

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wow! thats exactly how I pictured doing mines..did he just spray it or something

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think he just got it paitned with the car... thats what i would want excpet fill in the cavitys... i mean you could pull an adamturbo and BONDO but i wonder if fiberglass would hold better

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Sleepermx6's car

Yeah, I like that too !
Taking it a step further, one could try painting the middle strip between the side tail-lites for a dual split appearance. Maybe a contrasting trim color such as satin black or silver could be used across the entire rear tail section to tie it all in.
Also, there's been past postings of member's who modded the upper section of the tail-lite to work the same as the lower one. This would only work on the '90 and up models with all red tails.

G

·
ok, go to www.fibreglast.com they have forums you can post questions and they have pros that browse the boards. I also get a lot of my fiberglass stuff there. If you carbon fiber far anything I sell that, I have several hundred yards of it. Fibre glast also sells some really good reference material as in books and videos. If you have any real technical questions you can email me at [email protected] I will be glad to walk you through anything or help you on picking supplies!

·
Registered
514 Posts
FlySwat said:
Your thinking of sleepermx6's car:

I think it looks quite good, even this way.
the lights look sort of like my 2dr 626

1 - 14 of 14 Posts