Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had an idea....

has anybody took the door panels and fiberglass the middle where it is either leather or cloth? mine are cloth and the cloth is really poor looking and i wanna make it look a little better....

so i wanted to just pour fiberglass resin over the cloth since the cloth is already kind of laced and intertwined it would harden really good then sand it down and maybe some filler to shape it and then paint it a nice black and clear coat it....or even some carbon fiber?

jus wonderin if anyone has done it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
sure. something like that.
kind of.

back to the subject. i think CF on it would look nice. but i dont know about adhesion same for Fiberglassing it. i would like to know too. I was going to suede up the fabric part of the door panel. but... it seems you dont enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Um yeah, that has nothing to do with fiberglassing door pannels but nonetheless interesting.

Only problems with your idea is that the door pannels are one peice, so you have 2 choices.

1) fiberglass the whole door pannel
2) cut the insert out and glue/glass it back together after its been painted.

I will be trying the cutting apart method with my door cards :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was goin to tape off the rest of it...but the cutting and glassing back is a much better idea....im goin to start on it pretty soon...so ill start posting pics..

·
Registered
178 Posts
i cut my door panels apart on a test panel, they go back really really nice, bu thte vinyl on the rest of the door actually goes under the "insert area" so when you cut it, your actually cutting the vinyl, and it peels up from inside the seam... i figured , since im going this far, i might as well go all out, and do something totally original....

However here is a pic of a saturn door panel, i removed the plastic insert, resined it, and sanded it alot...
http://idolcreations.com/messageboard/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_gallery&id=51

FYI,

the12volt.com is a great place to learn the techniques

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol of course man...i tried to give karma and it keeps saying...i have to spread before giving karma or soemthing..it should work now

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you have any pics of this yet? Im deciding if ima gonna glass them, or lay some carbon on them. Post up some pics if you have any yet!!

-JB-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts