Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use silicone to fill their motor mounts? I tried polyurethane but it was too stiff and made the car shake horribly. Wondered if silicone may be a good compromise between poly and nothing.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
I used Devcon Flexane 80 on front and rear mounts only. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SixSick6 said:
I don't think silicone would be much of a performance mod? if anything it would help rubber that might be cracked or falling apart, not much different than buying a brand new rubber mount:shrug:
that's why I was asking if anyone had done it. Don't know if it'll help but I guess I'm going to find out. I've filled two of my spare mounts and they're still curing, but they're definitely more rigid than having nothing but air in the cavities and also less rigid than the polyurethane. I'll post my impressions after installation and testing - if this damn snow we got today melts :mad:

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
Flexane mounts for rent

KingArthur said:
How's your idle.
Maybe 10% buzzier than my (225,000 km) old originals. Noticeable, but not annoying. Well worth the improvement. Markedly clunkier when cranking. Still a worthwhile trade-off.

KingArthur said:
Can you tell that you have it on your mounts?
Sure can tell when you launch at the track. Much better than engine pogoing around under the hood. Much easier, more precise shifting, too, when the engine isn't rocking back and forth at every shift. See above re cranking.

KingArthur said:
Where do I find it?
I got it at Industrial Plastics and Paints in Calgary. I've also seen it at Calgary Fasteners. A lot of bearing distributors seem to carry Devcon stuff.

You can find the closest distributor by punching in your postal/zip code on Devcon's website

brucerap said:
More details pls. What is it, where you got it, how much. thx
Tech info can be found at: Flexane 80 2 part liquid castable urethane. I think it was around $40 CDN for the one pound kit -- likely enough to do a half dozen mounts.

I chopped a hole in a chunk of plexiglas

that I had hanging around big enough to fit snugly over the nose of the middle bushing, greased it up with mould release (aka Pam), bolted it on with a through bolt and socket to clamp it in place

and mix up the stuff (I used a postal scale

-- they want you to measure the components by weight), pour it in the open end of the mount, let it sit for 48 hours, pull off bolt and plexiglas,

install, go racing.

Those 2 mounts, plus shifter bushings, make the ole transaxle feel like it's good for another 15 years.

Reactions: Darmstro
G

·
Re: Flexane mounts for rent

SleepCounter said:
Those 2 mounts, plus shifter bushings, make the ole transaxle feel like it's good for another 15 years.
Nonsense, we all know that mazda trannys suck. ;-)

EDIT: Hey look, I went to your wifes (??) needle work website and found a picture of you.

The funny thing, is once I found out your age, your exactly how I pictured you :p

·
Registered
737 Posts
Has anyone else used a filler for their mounts that can be done while the mounts are still on the car?

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
don't close this thread!

FlySwat said:
Nonsense, we all know that mazda trannys suck.
Some less enlightened folk such as I have yet to make that discovery. If only I had the insight and knowledge that I had when I was 18.

FlySwat said:
EDIT: Hey look, I went to your wifes (??) needle work website and found a picture of you.
Actually, that pic is 3 or 4 years old -- the 'stache and beard got scraped off a good while back.

FlySwat said:
The funny thing, is once I found out your age, your exactly how I pictured you :p.
maybe I've finally begun to act my age. Sure hope not!

drsjr1980 said:
Has anyone else used a filler for their mounts that can be done while the mounts are still on the car?
The mounts are very easily removed (at least the front and rear ones -- them's the only ones I did).

you don't need to jack up the engine if you just remove one at a time -- there's still three others supporting it.

If you use flexane, it's pourable, so the mount needs to lie flat (on its side). Also, with Flexane (and, I'm guessing, with just about any other material) the mount needs to be squeeky clean to ensure good adhesion. Hard to get it scrupulously clean when it's in situ.

If you're gonna do it, do it right. If "good enough" is good enough for you, maybe a 6 isn't the right car for you.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What did you guys use to hold the motor when the mounts were pulled.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
Reading comprehension: B-

SleepCounter said:
you don't need to jack up the engine if you just remove one at a time -- there's still three others supporting it.
drsjr1980 said:
What did you guys use to hold the motor when the mounts were pulled.
KingArthur said:
Use a floor jack.

FlySwat said:
I was afraid you would do that
Don't be afraid -- I had jack stands under the front subframes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SleepCounter said:
I used Devcon Flexane 80 on front and rear mounts only. Works fine for me.
by front and rear do you mean the mounts by the strut towers? Just looking for clarification.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
doin' it right on the wrong part of mount

brucerap said:
by front and rear do you mean the mounts by the strut towers? Just looking for clarification.
Nope, the other two. The front one down by the intercooler and the rear one down by the shifter linkage. Those are the ones which absorb almost all of the axial torque load.

The main responsibility of mounts near the strut towers is to absorb the rocking moment inherent in larger I4 engines (at least the ones which lack balance shafts).

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
I'd do 'em in this order:

1. lower back by the shifter
  2. front lower by intercooler
  3. left front by battery
  4. right front by cruise
    [/list=1]

Test drive after each. I got what I wanted after #1 & #2 so didn't bother any further.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts