Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to post this for a while.

The Maxima, I saw him playing around on my way to work...it was pretty clean...all emblems were removed, and it was dark maroon with black rims. Very clean. When I pulled up the red light just passing him, I looked over at him, and he looked at me...it was a black guy....so I didn't think he'd race (this IS NOT a racial comment, AT ALL.....it is just that I've NEVER had a black guy race me, regardless of what they drove....NEVER....LOL....it may have NOTHING to do with race).

Either way, he switched lanes to get closer to me...to maybe run. The light turned green and by some miracle, traffic opened up....I dropped the pedal and put a carlenght or 2 on him....then I slowed so he could get beside me.....around 30mph or so, we both nailed the hell out of it........HIS WAS LOUUUDD (the engine itself, I couldn't hear his exhaust since I began walking him again), I put a carlength or 2 on him once again.

Now, we pull up to a redlight side by side....he's like....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? LOL.... "Just a little turbo...",....."MAN, THAT THING IS A SLEEPER!!!", (this is why I love the 1st gen MX6 GT). He told me he had intake, exhaust, and a couple of other little things.

We agree to race from a stop....light turns green....I spanked him BADLY. I imagine if his would've been a standard.....the race could've been different if he was a good shifter.....but I left him pretty good, ALL 3 times.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nikon said:
Well thats good cause I have always wanted a 4th gen maxima but it looks like I made the right choice with a mx6.
keep telling yourself that. :)

MX-6's have some good top end..and also take into account if the maxima was 5spd or auto, there's almost a second difference 1/4 between the two.

i'm always up for racing a 6...it would be some good comp..

EDIT....i reread the thread, he was an auto...autos are good for high 15's, low 16's...and the 5spds dip into the 14's with some minor mods (even stock)

·
Registered
128 Posts
tavarish said:
keep telling yourself that. :)

MX-6's have some good top end..and also take into account if the maxima was 5spd or auto, there's almost a second difference 1/4 between the two.

i'm always up for racing a 6...it would be some good comp..

EDIT....i reread the thread, he was an auto...autos are good for high 15's, low 16's...and the 5spds dip into the 14's with some minor mods (even stock)
How do you know he didnt make the right choice? The mx6 is a far better handling car not to mention probably gets better gas mileage. The mx6 isnt far behind in straight line performance. I know this may sound crazy but a maxima isnt the best bang for buck car out there.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
shift_v6 said:
How do you know he didnt make the right choice? The mx6 is a far better handling car not to mention probably gets better gas mileage. The mx6 isnt far behind in straight line performance. I know this may sound crazy but a maxima isnt the best bang for buck car out there.
That's funny to hear you say that.

I'm going to guess that it would probably have been an even race if he had a 5spd and knew how to use it.

Personally, I've ALWAYs liked the Maximas....I didn't like the generation before this most recent though (I don't like the styling--not terrible...but not really "Maximish"). But I do like Maximas (fully loaded). I'm considering buying my wife one....it MUST BE FULLY LOADED though......

When I bought this MX6 GT, I was considering:

1st Gen MX6 GT, $3000 or less, this would be my 3rd 1st gen MX6GT, love the large backseat, and I LOVE the look (sporty sleeper)....would've gotten a 626 GT if I would've found a clean one.

5.0 Mustangs (Fox body)--but the ones I wanted were $5000+
1990ish Toyota Supra Turbo--Like I wanted, $4500ish on up--small backseat
1996ish Nissan Maxima--like I'd want $6000ish

There may have been a few others...but mainly I'd been feeming for another 1st Gen for a couple of years (or longer)--I just Really like this car....I knew I'd have a cheap car that I'd enjoy...and I do enjoy it.

I also couldn't ignore the money I'd save....I had to sell some stock to buy the MX6, and selling $3000 or so looked a lot better than selling $5000, and I'm still happy with my decision.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh you want a maxima? I have 97 maxima for sale fully loaded black on black 163k for 7k...oh i forgot to mention the mods

2.5" Feedpipe
3" Downpipe
to4b turbo .60 a/r compressor .81 a/r turbine
Cartech fmu
Weapon-r fpr
Weapon-r fpr adapter
2.5" intercooler piping
28x6x3.5 intercooler
Greddy RS blow off valve
autometer boost and air/fuel gauges
black autometer gauge pod
Greddy e-manage blue w/ support tool
HKS 40mm wastegate w/5.6psi spring
2.5" exhaust (have piping to make 3" exhaust)
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
tein s tech springs
z32 mass air flow sensor
battery relocated to trunk
Tokico blues rear struts
Exedy Stage 1 clutch

Needs new axles and front struts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No offense, but if I were to spend $7k, then I'd definitely be rocking a WELL MODIFIED 5.0, I found plenty of them for around that when I was looking.

But I do have a question for you...or anyone....

What would make the engine SOOOO loud like that? Are they just that loud when wound up?

What do I mean by "wound up"? 3 or 4 years ago, I raced my sister's boyfriend...he had a 1999 or so Honda Civic Si, it was stock. I was driving my 1997 Chevy Extended Cab Z71....I'd been wanting FOREVER to see what all the fuss about the VTec was, and I knew that even factory (besides true dual flowmaster 40 series exhaust), my truck would "get it".

We raced from several different speeds....he beat me, but not by a whole lot (1 maybe 2 carlengths). Generally, I'd get the jump on him...putting his front bumper behind the extended cab.

When racing, I noticed how loud that civic was when he'd start to pass me....loud from the MOTOR, not from the exhaust (he was 100% stock). For a 4 banger, IT WAS LOUD! After the races, he told me that he was driving it harder than he ever had to beat me....and he'd been taking it up to 7k rpms.

So I was thinking....the "loudness" must have come from 6k to 7k rpms...or so.

But when that Maxima got on it, and I was beside him.....IT WAS LOUD!.....again, from the motor.

So what is that?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
jiffy6969 said:
No offense, but if I were to spend $7k, then I'd definitely be rocking a WELL MODIFIED 5.0, I found plenty of them for around that when I was looking.

But I do have a question for you...or anyone....

What would make the engine SOOOO loud like that? Are they just that loud when wound up?

What do I mean by "wound up"? 3 or 4 years ago, I raced my sister's boyfriend...he had a 1999 or so Honda Civic Si, it was stock. I was driving my 1997 Chevy Extended Cab Z71....I'd been wanting FOREVER to see what all the fuss about the VTec was, and I knew that even factory (besides true dual flowmaster 40 series exhaust), my truck would "get it".

We raced from several different speeds....he beat me, but not by a whole lot (1 maybe 2 carlengths). Generally, I'd get the jump on him...putting his front bumper behind the extended cab.

When racing, I noticed how loud that civic was when he'd start to pass me....loud from the MOTOR, not from the exhaust (he was 100% stock). For a 4 banger, IT WAS LOUD! After the races, he told me that he was driving it harder than he ever had to beat me....and he'd been taking it up to 7k rpms.

So I was thinking....the "loudness" must have come from 6k to 7k rpms...or so.

But when that Maxima got on it, and I was beside him.....IT WAS LOUD!.....again, from the motor.

So what is that?
Well for the honda, that is probably vtec country when it gets really loud but in genereal the hondas are loud. I think its their intake set up. As for the maxima it might be the same or maybe it'snot supposed to sound like that maybe something was wrong with it :shrug:

·
Registered
172 Posts
shift_v6 said:
That's comparing apples to oranges. The MX-6 is a sports sedan, i should HOPE it has better handling. The maxima gets better EPA gas mileage, and if you put about 1k into ANY 4th gen maxima, you can RELIABLY run mid-13's (VQ35 swap), all motor. You can aso get a beater max for about 1k, i bought mine for 900 bucks. Also, if you want to go the boost route, it's good to know you have a block that can handle 500whp on the stock block. Also, the VQ has been on ward's 10 best engines for the past 11 years. I'd say it's a damn good bang for my buck. Don't get me wrong, I know you probably know all this, and i'm not knocking the 6, it's a great car in it's own respect as well, but to run 13's (even 12's) all motor in a grocery getter is insane.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
i've loved the maxima since they were datsun 810's in the late 70's :)

they should've stuck with the straight 6/RWD setup though...such a shame to see the L series engine die in 83.

·
Registered
172 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
i've loved the maxima since they were datsun 810's in the late 70's :)

they should've stuck with the straight 6/RWD setup though...such a shame to see the L series engine die in 83.
yeah...there's another nissan 6 cylinder rwd that i love...and it rhymes with SKYLINE.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1FIERCEGT said:
Well for the honda, that is probably vtec country when it gets really loud but in genereal the hondas are loud. I think its their intake set up. As for the maxima it might be the same or maybe it'snot supposed to sound like that maybe something was wrong with it :shrug:
I don't think there was anything wrong with it...maybe I just haven't really heard many engines from the side like that....he said he had a CAI.....I kid you not though, that thing was LOUD....sounded good too, it was actually intimidating until I started walking off and leaving him.

When I say loud though, I mean like as loud as a moderaterly free-flowing muffler....

·
Registered
128 Posts
tavarish said:
That's comparing apples to oranges. The MX-6 is a sports sedan, i should HOPE it has better handling. The maxima gets better EPA gas mileage, and if you put about 1k into ANY 4th gen maxima, you can RELIABLY run mid-13's (VQ35 swap), all motor. You can aso get a beater max for about 1k, i bought mine for 900 bucks. Also, if you want to go the boost route, it's good to know you have a block that can handle 500whp on the stock block. Also, the VQ has been on ward's 10 best engines for the past 11 years. I'd say it's a damn good bang for my buck. Don't get me wrong, I know you probably know all this, and i'm not knocking the 6, it's a great car in it's own respect as well, but to run 13's (even 12's) all motor in a grocery getter is insane.
Mx6 a sedan???. Yes it could cost as little as 1k to swap a 3.5 in if and only if you do the work your self. Yes you can get 500whp out of a stock block vq but its not going to last long. By the way I own a turbocharged maxima.

·
Registered
172 Posts
shift_v6 said:
Mx6 a sedan???. Yes it could cost as little as 1k to swap a 3.5 in if and only if you do the work your self. Yes you can get 500whp out of a stock block vq but its not going to last long. By the way I own a turbocharged maxima.
woops...brain fart...i mean sports coupe. yes, i'm getting my 3.5 for $650 shipped, and I'll do all the work myself, that's the only way i'd have it. I noticed you have a turbocharged max, Is yours the car that has the boost leak and/or requiring a turbo rebuild (or engine rebuild)? I was kind of interested if you parted out the kit..

I never said they would last long at 500whp, obvously reliability would go down, but then again, you're increasin the output of the engine almost 3x more than the engineers at nissan ever intended. I'm trying to say it's good to know my grocery getter with the right mods can walk on Z06's, and can hold that power without blowing their engines.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
tavarish said:
I never said they would last long at 500whp, obvously reliability would go down, but then again, you're increasin the output of the engine almost 3x more than the engineers at nissan ever intended. I'm trying to say it's good to know my grocery getter with the right mods can walk on Z06's, and can hold that power without blowing their engines.
If this is the case, then get yourself the VG block :smokin: the stock internals on the Z32 engines are quite hefty and can take a serious beating. There's yet to be a force fed VQ from the factory

Think of the other engines nissan has produced, and look to see if those are force fed...ie; L28ET, VG30DET/T, RB20/25/26's, SR20DET, CA18DET, KA24DET. You can overboost the hell out of any of these engines and they take a beating and keep on smiling. you boost the newer nissan engines, ie the VQ series, and it'll start whining after a bit, and start to pout and piss everywhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts