Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car runs great so I have never bothered to check the plugs. I've been reading on here a lot about what plugs to use and most people seem to be in agreement that the OEM NGK plugs are the way to go.

Well, just out of curiosity I pulled them out yesterday. Turns out they are the Bosch platinums. :rolleyes: Someone torqued the hell out of them too. They were very clean but had typical grey/white color indicative of running too hot. So, off to dealer I went and I'm going to install the NGK plugs tonight.

A couple questions:

What is a good way to clean out the plug cavities without getting all kinds of crap falling into the cylinders?

What do you peeps torque your plugs to? Haynes manual says 10.6 to 16 ft-lbs. I'm thinking 13 ft-lbs is a safe bet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've found that the NGK Vtip plugs perform great and are relatively cheap at any pepboys. as for cleaning the engine around the plugs, do so while the plugs are still in. the last thing you want is dirt in the engine.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Betsy tells me she likes the new NGK spark plugs I got her. She actually runs a little quieter now if you can believe that. Joy! 8D

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
A whitish gray coating on spark plugs that've been in there for a while is pretty normal, sounds like you're running fine. As far as cleaning, what I usually do is leave the plugs in there and spray some degreaser in there, then hose it off. Just be careful where you spray the degreaser and the water. Oh and dont get it on your oil cap. It will turn BROWN.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts