Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there is a 2001 MGT with a pushrod transplant, its a 400CID 351Stroker to be exact, and his best run to date was a 11.77...A friend called me and told me he was talking big about his car, and specifically asked to race me...I slapped the slicks on and headed to town...

He has CONTINUALLY ran his mouth about a "real car" having pushrods (mind you, he's driving a HACKED mod car), and how weak mod motors were...and tonite, he rubbed me the wrong way...looked right at my car, said, and I quote "When you get a real engine, then Ill respect that POS"...that done it...})

I challenged him to a standing start to a mark 1/4 mile down the road, we agreed that whomever passed a small tree roughly 1/4th away won...and had the "real" car, plus bragging rights and whatnot...I brought up money, but he denied....

So, since Ive posted last, Ive redone my exhaust setup...I now have a full 3" setup from the headers back, instead of the 2.5...I opened the cutouts, let it idle for about 15 minutes...and heated the tires

A friend marked us, and I launched...he had me by about a half a car when I sprayed...I was about a car on him shifting into 4th when it happened...*POP* flames shot through the cracks between the hood and fenders, I let off, but too late...Im not sure the extent of the damage, but Im sure the engine is focked...

On a fortunate note...Big Mouth's car broke as well...seems those pushrod cars dont like 7K+ revs and he threw a rod :flipa:

I also *won* the race...at least he shook my hand and said "you WERE ahead when we blew them"

I have replacement engines in the garage...we'll discuss those later:cool:

Also worth mentioning, a buddy with a Heads/Cam LS1 took $200 from a Supra with a DYNO PROVEN 500rwhp...supra guy wanted it from a 45kick..LS1 guy bent him over...

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Nice! Kid sounds a little ****** though. Engines??? Whats next?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Maybe you just blew the plastic intake manifold. Perhaps there's a slim chance the motor itself is okay... :freak:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe you just blew the plastic intake manifold. Perhaps there's a slim chance the motor itself is okay...
I wish, I blew the intake once before, But this thing is gone...

So far two of the pistons are cracked, one has a hole burned though it...

I have several bent valves and a broken timing chain...which also ripped a hole through the engine cover...IDK what happened first, timing chain, or Lean...but shit hit the fan...

Nice! Kid sounds a little ****** though. Engines??? Whats next?
I have a Mach 1, 4.6Liter DOHC and a Lincoln Navigator 5.4Liter DOHC...Im thinking a 5.2stroker motor for the 4.6 with around a 250shot...or a 6.0liter stroker on the 5.4 with super/turbocharging...help me decide...4.6=cheaper/5.4=LS1 what?

I like LS1's as well...especially ones that I helped build:p It made me all warm and fuzzy inside when the Trans Am womped on the Supra from a roll

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
The Anti Rice said:
ISo far two of the pistons are cracked, one has a hole burned though it...
I have several bent valves and a broken timing chain...which also ripped a hole through the engine cover
So what your really trying to say is that its not that bad....:muhaha:

Also is that navi motor share the same block as the 4.6 just a longer stroke?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I thought when you blew your motor from too much NOS that the floor panels fall out and then the intake manifold welds break??? Do I have to raise that bullshit flag or should you???

metros

:muhaha:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what your really trying to say is that its not that bad....
Nah, not really...:freak:

Also is that navi motor share the same block as the 4.6 just a longer stroke?
Its very similar but has a bit higher deck heigth, that is the only real difference that Im aware of...It weighs a bit more, 33lbs more over a 4.6 block...

I thought when you blew your motor from too much NOS that the floor panels fall out and then the intake manifold welds break??? Do I have to raise that bull[shizzle] flag or should you???

metros
:jump:

but seriously, Im not running a NOS setup, It was an NX...:cool:

Also, My car doesnt have intake manifold welds, the intake was plastic...I call it the Lego Engine:shrug:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Fastest, but it was going to happen sooner or later, Im supprised it took 450+ hp as long as it did on the stock bottom end...Its time to move on to bigger and better engines though...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The Anti Rice said:
Nah, not really...:freak:
A little JB Weld and you'll be good to go. :tup:

Its very similar but has a bit higher deck heigth, that is the only real difference that Im aware of...It weighs a bit more, 33lbs more over a 4.6 block...
As you surmise, the 5.4 shares the same bore as the 4.6 but has a 4.165" stroke versus the 3.543" stroke of the 4.6. It consequently has a deck height 10.079 versus 8.937 which makes the resulting engine considerably taller and wider than the 4.6. The PI intake won't fit the 5.4 engine either unless you go with some adapter plates. If you're intent on an aluminum block, you should try to locate a Teksid unit instead of the WAP. Also keep in mind that the big power Terminator (aka Cobra) 4.6 used an iron block...

Seriously...if it were me I'd be thinking built-to-the-tits 4.6 with a steel Cobra crank & oil pump, some Manley H-beams and 23-cc forged pistons topped with some cleaned-up PI heads and turbo-friendly cams. Then I'd write a cheque to HP Turbo and get a brown truck to drop off one of their Stage II twin-turbo kits.

http://turbochargedpower.com/96-04%20Mustang.htm

That Saleen making 488 rwHP and 570 ft-lbs at just 8-psi would be crazy. And with a built shortblock, you could near 800HP at just 20-psi if you could get fuel to it.

C'mon TAR, you know you want to...

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Mike 94PGT said:

Hahahahahaha that really tickled me.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Mike 94PGT said:

As you surmise, the 5.4 shares the same bore as the 4.6 but has a 4.165" stroke versus the 3.543" stroke of the 4.6. It consequently has a deck height 10.079 versus 8.937 which makes the resulting engine considerably taller and wider than the 4.6. The PI intake won't fit the 5.4 engine either unless you go with some adapter plates. If you're intent on an aluminum block, you should try to locate a Teksid unit instead of the WAP. Also keep in mind that the big power Terminator (aka Cobra) 4.6 used an iron block...

Seriously...if it were me I'd be thinking built-to-the-tits 4.6 with a steel Cobra crank & oil pump, some Manley H-beams and 23-cc forged pistons topped with some cleaned-up PI heads and turbo-friendly cams. Then I'd write a cheque to HP Turbo and get a brown truck to drop off one of their Stage II twin-turbo kits.

http://turbochargedpower.com/96-04%20Mustang.htm

That Saleen making 488 rwHP and 570 ft-lbs at just 8-psi would be crazy. And with a built shortblock, you could near 800HP at just 20-psi if you could get fuel to it.

C'mon TAR, you know you want to...
My buddy feels about the same way you do. He blew up his 302, so he built a 306.. dss h-beams, dss prolite pistons, ported trickflow heads, and a nice big single 75mm turbo. Just finished putting it together this week. We shall see what she runs. He is hoping for around 700whp.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike, I scraped 34 lbs of JBWeld off of the block....seriously...:p

Anyway, I have decided...

Im taking the Mach engine, and stroking to a 5.2 liter 318 CID...
fully forged and coated...

I haven't picked out my cams yet, and I may go custom grinds with them, Im not sure yet...eveything is still VERY tentative..

Now I decided to go with the Mach engine, its a direct bolt in, minus wiring harness...That and the 5.4 is going to be a side project of my dad's and mine...

Im planning on a custom twin turbo setup, similar to HP's...goal is 800hp...realistically speaking, I'd be more than happy with 600...

Anyone have any suggestions on turbo choice? Ive been discussing it with a local shop owner/friend and the T60-1 came up, as well as T3/T4's..can they support 800hp?

I havent worked fuel or anything else out yet...I don't want to spend more than 8,000 on this project, but I already know Im going to...

Also, the subject of a big single snail has come up...The piping layout is already in my head for that one...and my friend is pushing for that, being fond of his own 101MM setup...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts