Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, so I finally figured out how to do fireballs out the exhaust. My friend was driving behind me, and said when i shifted into 2nd, a huge azz fire ball shot out the end. I don't have a caty. so, that's partially the reason, the other reason is probably because i was redlining it to ****, which is really bad, but I'm trying to wear in my new engine so if something goes wrong, it'll be covered under the warranty. I'm gunna get a video camera and get it on film, it'll be nice i believe. Also, I was reading in the JR Cookbook on how to make a fireball exhaust the safe way, and you can fire it whenever you want. I'll put a post up here (this mod is only for ppl with testpipes, not recommended for installed caty's.)

Ryan // 102020 // r3mix

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Auto Exhaust Flame Thrower

For this one, all you need is a car, a sparkplug, ignition wire and a
switch. NOTE: This will only work with cars that do not have the caty. installs, as the caty. would normally filter out the fumes needed to make your fireball properly. Install the spark plug into the last four or five inches of
the tailpipeby drilling a hole that the plug can screw into easily.
Attach the wire (this is regular insulated wire) to one side of the
switch and to the spark plug. The other side of the switch is attached
to the positive terminal on the battery. With the car running, simply
hit the switch and watch the flames fly!!! Again be careful that no
one is behind you! I have seen some of these flames go 20 feet!!!

copyright(c) of "The Jolly Roger CookBook"

·
Registered
242 Posts
in those instructions it should be posted that it will only work without a cat because it egnites the gases that the cat wouldnt normally let out.

Jimmy

my .02

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
that just doesn’t sound right on so many different levels.. for one 12 volts won’t jump the gap on a spark plug.. And 2 I really don’t think any thing coming out your exhaust would be flammable.. you would need to inject some sort of gas aswell..

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
well it could be done .. but not like that..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, seriously? There are 2 ways to make this work.

1: The bad way, the way I first ever saw the fireball... My friend was driving my car pretty hard, he was driving it to redline (i mean 8200RPM, when the engine almost cuts and and it sounds like its cutting out almost), and yes, I do know that getting the RPM that high is very bad, I don't drive like that. but when it hits that high of an RPM, its pretty much a direct firing from the cylinders and the buildup of pressure. You know in 2fast2furious how they made those colored flames out the exhaust? NOT with a computer. The skyline was just straight spark (no caty., and running the slightest bit rich), this will cause a blue flame (same as if when you see blue smoke from burning oil, but only a flame). The other colors are done by adding an element to the exhaust...say, a piece of copper would make your exhaust green. I don't know what would make it pink or red though, I have to open up my chemist books again and find out. But this is getting into the spark plug section again, which brings me to #2, I'll draw I diagram of how I have mine layed out until I can get my hands on a video camera. Its so simple, a direct hookup with the 12V and the spark plug really does work, I'm using a Bosch Platinum+2, I would have used BP+4's (same as in my 6 right now), but they are pretty pricey. So there you have it, oh right, and I'm also trying to wiring in my firing switch so my left horn button is my firing switch. And another thing, the flaming exhaust is only recommend to be fired when you are reving your engine UP, I have NO IDEA what will happen if your are just ideling, I'm not going to try it, I don't know if the fumes would be moving fast enough, or run up the pipes and into the headers...Any common knowledge on this aside from its normally a bad idea to do this anyways? lol.

Ryan // 102020 // r3mix

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here are pics of some cars that have it done, I'm gunna try finding a video I saw before and put it up here too:
...oh yes, you can actually buy a kit to do this as well...

PICTURES

VIDEOS
http://www.gotflames.net/Flash/Mustang_flames.swf
http://www.gotflames.net/Flash/ford_truck.swf
http://www.gotflames.net/Flash/bike2.swf
http://christurner.net/supra/

LINKS
http://www.gotflames.net/
http://66.216.94.142/product.asp?0=205&1=259&3=1111
http://www.autotechalarms.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=851

JUST FOR FUN

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I’m telling you now that isn’t just the spent gas from the motor burring in those pics.. and the only way I can se it working is with an igniter pack/coil as again 12V dc will not spark across the gap of a spark plug.. hell 240V wouldn’t..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Check out the links man, they have controller boxes that do I dont know what.

Here are some more vids, the last ones i could find. But make sure you check out the links, and tell me what you think then...

There are 2 vids in here (3rd wouldnt upload):
http://www.teamfury.infinology.com/my6

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
yea it said in that link you need a spark coil.. and all the box does I think is switches it on and of fast (as to create the spark, you know back EMF/collapsing magnetic field inducing the voltage.) a similar effect could most likely achieved with a capacitor..
in those pics you can se one is a blue flam and the other is orange/red.. I think you will find the orange is petrol (gasoline)
And the other is propane or maybe butane..
If there was any gas to burn at the back of your MX6 it would have to be running very bad/rich.. It would have a better chance burning the fumes behind a 5 ltr carbie V8 than our injected 2.5 v6..
but hey if it works then it works . .but I just don’t see it..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I noticed that, that you need coils and all that stuff. Alright then, here is something to think on. Im also running the klze...which doesnt run the egr (emissions stuff), my car has a partial pass when i did have my cat. on (about 1 1/2 months ago), and the egr is ment to recycle the fuels. Im quite positive it will work, Ive seen this done on honda's. And yes, you can do an injection flame thrower instead of running on fumes (the flame off the fumes is much smaller to the injected of coarse). They either tap their gas tank, or run propane or acetalyne, something of that sort. But check this out, this kit actually comes complete, and I havent checked out ebay yet either, but here it is:

http://www.gotflames.net/hypercart/pictureframe.asp?Sku=Basic+Flame+Thrower+Kit+and+Finishing+Kit

READ
The Basic "Got Flames" Flame Thrower kit and Finishing Installation Pack for vehicles/motorcycles with single or dual exhaust
The Basic "Got Flames" flame thrower kit and finishing installation pack for vehicles/motorcycles with single or dual exhaust comes with everything you will need for flames. The Basic "Got Flames" flame thrower kit comes with a "Got Flames" flame box, high quality momentary push button with stainless steel button housing, cnc machined weld-in plug nuts ( for easy spark plug installation ), and detailed step by step instructions with the free tips and tricks sheet. The Finishing installation pack consist of one ( for single exhaust ) or two ( for dual exhaust )- 12 volt automotive ignition coil/s, hi performance super stock solid core 7mm spark plug wire/s, and super hot copper core spark plug/s. (NOTE: you must have the finishing installation pack in order for the basic kit to work. The finishing installation pack consist of ignition coil/s, spark plug/s and plug wire/s which can be purchased at your local parts house or from us.) NOTE: Got Flames does not guarantee that the Got Flames Flame Thrower kit will work on all vehicles, especially electronic fuel injection or vehicles with a catalytic converter. E-mail us to verify that you can get flames with your particular vehicle or bike.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Well you go for it dude.. again I don’t think a KLDE OR ZE will be pushing out much flammable emitions.. even if the EGR isn’t on you motor the egr valve is only open when the car is idling.. so it won’t make any difference when you are revving the motor.. .. may be a bit of fun.. But also I’m sure you could make up a “control box” for less then they sell them 4.. all you have to do is switch off and on the coil fast… I’d talk to an electronics shop..

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
the jolly rodger cook book thing is for carb. cars.....i saw that **** on tv.....theres a switch so it shuts off one of the plugs in the engine or something and puts the gas into your tailpipe...and with the spark plug u get FLAMES!! ...this is bad idea for fuel injected cars......i think installing a switch and cheating is lame anyway.....make ur car badass enough to shoot flames for real and ill give u props homie. lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, true, there's nothing I can do but try! I'm gunna go ahead and get the full setup on the one link that is complete. I know I can throw flames, because I've done it even without having any ingition system in the exhaust line at all, just straight from the engine. But hey, if it doesn't work, I'll go with an independant system (with a seperate gas tank or propane tank). Right now, I get nice round fireball about 1ft out from the pipe, and 1ft diameter, and no, i don't have any spark plugs or anything on my mx6 right now, i took em off just to be safe.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
hmm. so yer telling me if i have some one hold down my gas pedal so it redlines..and i go to the back of my car at the same time and light a lighter a fireball will explode out of my exhaust pipe? do you know what comes out of the exhaust pipe? not gas fumes or clean air. And one thing element you do need to make fire is oxygen...kinda hard to do that when your fuel is being bombarded by carbon monoxide. In order to do this mod your talkin about is by having a car that has a carburater (in wich all the pics you posted have a carb) Thus its not fuel injected and some gas gets out the exhaust, exspecially on a high octane, high reving car. ever watch the NHRA top fuel dragsters go down the track in the 1/4 mile...Now those are flames. Hmm i wonder why..maybe because there running on the edge of exploding from nitrous and 100,000$ of engine performance products. Not because they put a cold air intake on and a strait pipe exhaust on there auto daily driver car.

This is probaly the most practical way of doing the flame from the exhaust.... ever use a propane tank with a torch heater? probaly not. how about a sunflower heater? probaly not. Anywase if you buy a propane tank (those white ones at gas stations and usually go on trailer homes) and buy a torch kit to hook up to it, you will notice...Theres flame coming out of a torch from propane!, so my idea here would be buy a colman propane tank (for a grill or something) wire it to the end of the exhaust pipe (4 in from the tip or so) then build your self a igniter peice , probaly could use one right off a grill. but dont use a spark plug. it wont even work!
Yea, true, there's nothing I can do but try! I'm gunna go ahead and get the full setup on the one link that is complete. I know I can throw flames, because I've done it even without having any ingition system in the exhaust line at all, just straight from the engine. But hey, if it doesn't work, I'll go with an independant system (with a seperate gas tank or propane tank). Right now, I get nice round fireball about 1ft out from the pipe, and 1ft diameter, and no, i don't have any spark plugs or anything on my mx6 right now, i took em off just to be safe.
Whoa ricer boy, if i saw your call blow a cannon ball fire fart if laugh my ass off. i seen a guy with a 240sx what a peice, he had a cherry bomb glass pack on it and a tip. no cat, no muffler and 2.5 pipe, every time he shifted it blew a fire ball out.

THATS NOT COOL. thats back fire. and in time, that cat you removed will destroy the valves in your engine and then you will be having fire balls blowing out the engine.
It does not seem like you know what your doing, anyone who removes the muffler and or cat has no idea of what there doing. the muffler surpesses the noise of the car and keeps out the reverse air pressure.(not sure of correct term for this), (cold air pressure flowing back up the tail pipe to the engine when the car is shut off.) wich then warps your exhaust valves. Cold air + Hot Exhaust valves=BAD You might as on run a straight header, filly your car up with 100+ octane and rev the hell outa it,theres yer flames you wanted.

btw. the flame out the exhaust is extremly illegal in all states and extremely dangerous, on and off road. and if you think other wise, call the police dep and ask. also call some local shops and ask them if they install the fire ball exhaust mod.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
whoa whoa whoa! calm down there DAR. It's ok! Did you hear me says I was going to try it with the kit, if that doesn't work, Im going with propane. Wow, you need to take a step back and look around, there are no ricers here, only you cali. I would prefer to take that money and invest in getting my headers port and polished (yea, its dirt cheap here, like, i can get it done for 150$CDN). So eat sh1t man. lol. Were on a friggin forum, don't get so attatched to it. I think your a person who might start crying if this site ever went down. lol, but i might get a bit sade too. but hey, just relax. just dont try starting a war in here. if you want to, start a thread called flaming wars, and you can make fun of yourself all you want. im out, im not even gunna bother checking up on this thread.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
i would be disapointed, if something went wrong with my 6 and i dint know how to fix it, id end up paying some fool.

Btw i think you ment heads port and polished, yer headers are for exhaust aka exhaust headers-exhaust manifold.
and in order to get them port and polished you need to remove them... That aint cheap. you will also need knew head gaskets and probaly new VC gaskets, and IM gaskets. And the entire process would probaly take about 9 to 10 hours or more to do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry, i ment heads, port and polished, that was an unfortunate typo for this debate. lol. but yes, since im on a team, we cut a really sweet ass deal with this garage to do all our work, as long as they are the only one's that do our work and we advertise for them (word of mouth, thats it). yea, i forget what i was on about.
i dont car anymore
lhdfjashd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts