Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just took it on the 4 hour drive home.

Firstly, I would like to raise a glass to Dan and Jason.

guys you rock :) theres nothing about the setup i don't like.. pipe locations are perfect, you made more than the best possible choices given the extremely limited space.

the drive home..

Being nervous about a brand new install, and not having the kinks worked out - i havent really explored the depths of power this thing will make. my nerve gives out long before my brain obeys the command to keep the "pedal to the metal" - once she is up and running, fully intercooled, then i will be posting some higher boost impressions.

for now you guys must settle for 3.5psi.

even at that - it pulls like a car running much higher boost. KL's respond so damn well to boost.

breaking traction isnt much a problem (more like a probability) in 1st and 2nd, and 3rd gear chirps are unavoidable if youre accellerating (to get on a highway for instance)

the engine is a completely different animal tho.. powerband is soooo changed. a> i no longer have VRIS functionality of any kind.. and b> i have MUCH more torque down low than ever.. and it kind of builds from there.its really hard to explain but its more like driving my jeep in some ways... ie: neverending depths of torque down low. i havent explored the upper revs yet, again just because i prefer to take it easy until i am intercooled.. but she seems really rev happy from what i have done.

Who knows what shes pushing right now or how fast.. all i know is that its a much different (but better kind of difference) animal now, and altogether kickass...

she got home with no problem... and when not boosting, drives very much like a stock KL.

the setup has a muffler on the wastegate, so it doesnt sound like just an open pipe dump.. (personal preference) - this gives it a nice warbly sound, nothing harsh, no rasp, and very much like the boxer 4's in the wrx's. it really sound sgreat :) this was a custom dan product ;p

Jason and Dan did incredible jobs on the piping, other misc, welding, wiring, and general setup... and went way above and beyond the "call of duty" to make sure i was happy with every aspect... and whats best about that is it was their choice, not my demand, to do so. quality and pride in workmanship is rare these days so these guys get a big thumbs up.

*edit, i also made 200 miles on 7 gallons of gas... thats workin on a 400 miles per tank (highway miles) - rememebr on the highway youre infrequently in boost... so gas mileage should remain relatively unchanged.. in my case it was greatly improved, but i had other issues that were affecting that, which were fixed before/along with the turbo install.

PICS TOMORROW.. if i can borrow my bro's DVcam, there will be video too.

·
Banned
272 Posts
steve's reaction when he first see's his car .

were not sure why steve asked us to install this but hey the customer's always right .

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Congrats!, Goat. Wow, there are tons of boosted mx6/probes that popped up this year.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah i don't know what happened..

I took it to Dan originally for a pink seat cover install... and came home with a turbo! woot!

:D :D

ok back to work.. ill be back with mroe impressions later.

work btw = driving the car around :X

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's awesome goat, I'm glad you're happy with it :D . I'm excited, I'm starting to gather funds and I plan on starting my install in June woohoo :E

·
Registered
341 Posts
nice, like Cal said MX6s going Turbo :)
[happy face]saving my money[/happy face]

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
welp its STILL FARKING RAINING

so i havent been able to really test her out.

i hope to get some video this weekend.

also - albeit in the rain.. she runs beautifully... idles dead on.. no wierd smells, running ever so slightly rich so i get a bit of a puff, but not a cloud of smoke.. rich is intentional by the way... i'm not gonna bother tuning it to 4 psi since i will be intercooled and upping the boost to my normal street level soon anyways.

impressed the hell out of a guy with an a4 turbo yesterday ;) :D he loves the sound (i have a vented hood, and the turbo is high up in the engine bay, right near the vents, so you REALLY hear her spool up)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Are u running an internel or externel wastegate on that BIATCH?? Whats the spool up on the t25?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I will tell you, the T25 spools insanely fast! He prolly gets 3.5 psi by 2k rpm's. I know with my T2 (t25 counterpart) I was getting 5.5 psi by 2300 rpm's. The only thing I dont like about the t25 was the restrictive turbine size. The exhaust outlet should be similar to the size of your downpipe for max flow. But t25's and 28's are amazing little turbos :tup: Glad to see you finally got the beast boosting. Positive manifold pressure is a great thing :D

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
janz99 said:
Are u running an internel or externel wastegate on that BIATCH?? Whats the spool up on the t25?
external tial..

a lot of $$ but i dont think i'd ever use internal again.

tial rocks the llamas ass.

>>I will tell you, the T25 spools insanely fast! He prolly gets 3.5 psi by 2k rpm's. I know with my T2 (t25 counterpart) I was getting 5.5 psi by 2300 rpm's. The only thing I dont like about the t25 was the restrictive turbine size. The exhaust outlet should be similar to the size of your downpipe for max flow. But t25's and 28's are amazing little turbos Glad to see you finally got the beast boosting. Positive manifold pressure is a great thing <<

thanks again for your help and advice on probetalk :)

it does spool pretty damn fast.. but its very smooth in its delivery, and so far holds boost very well into redline. (i only ventured as faras 7500 indicated, which on an external tach on the test pins was like 6900 actual IIRC) this one has a larger exhaust a/r than stock DSM.

7psi on this, and eventually a t28 (to move the powerband up a scosche) at 9psi track, will be plenty for me. the more i consider it the more i love the early spool.. its smooth (so far.. i dunno what it will be like at 7psi) and since im in the city, the around town drivability is excellent. its pretty much shiftless now for most city driving... 3rd gear handles everything except when traffic is crawling.. but even then it barely lugs, whereas before it lugged bigtime, even 2nd would at such speeds heh.

and then when i want to open it up - it does extremely well.

new race inh the race forum coming up ;) you guys will like this one.

·
Registered
744 Posts
One of the nice things about having fast spool is street racing. You can almost always get a huge jump on someone unless they have a small turbo or awd in their favor. Anyway there is nothing wrong with high end power either but its harder to tune which I am half way starting to learn. I love my new T3 other than the fact that the impeller is starting to rub the compressor at low rpm's :rolleyes: I have no luck....ANYWAY, get some 1/4 times soon cause I wanna see what the car will do. Also do yourself a favor and check your ignition timing and make sure your set up right! I need to do this still....6 months later. Boost is so fun though, your addictions will only get wrose lol.

·
Banned
272 Posts
I had it to 8psi when i was trying get it all tuned in (ie make the wastegate work) and it felt pretty strong , allthough i don't know what rpm anyting happened at as my were glued to the boost gauge and the road .

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rotten97 said:
I had it to 8psi when i was trying get it all tuned in (ie make the wastegate work) and it felt pretty strong , allthough i don't know what rpm anyting happened at as my were glued to the boost gauge and the road .
did you blow the welds on the manifold? ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
think i'm gonna venture back in a year ago today I had all the stuff to turbo charge my six except the piping

i'm not a welder so ... lets just say I ran into a problem with school and money and had to sell off my beautiful t3/t4 hks bov and my intercooler :(

I still got my fuel pump and safac and guages no one wanted them oddly so new job more money time to start saving
if I can get some pipes fromsomeone for a mx6 i'm back in the game :)

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mx6ls_Tyler said:
think i'm gonna venture back in a year ago today I had all the stuff to turbo charge my six except the piping

i'm not a welder so ... lets just say I ran into a problem with school and money and had to sell off my beautiful t3/t4 hks bov and my intercooler :(

I still got my fuel pump and safac and guages no one wanted them oddly so new job more money time to start saving
if I can get some pipes fromsomeone for a mx6 i'm back in the game :)
Dan (rotten97) made my pipes.. and hes gearign up for making a bunch more, so he'd prolly be a good person to talk to if youre wanting them soon.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
So t2's are the best turbos for our cars?....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts