Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First impressions - Eibach springs and Tokico Blues

I got my car back yesterday with new suspension including the Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico blue shocks and struts and the Corksport strut tower bar.

The strut tower bar really tightened up the front end quite noticably. That was a good investment, however, now the car just seems to need a stiffer rear anti-sway bar to neutralize it.

The Eibach springs are pretty nice. They lower the car more in the front than they do in the rear and you notice it when you first get in. They effectively took out the large fender gap over the front wheel. The gap is actually larger over the rear wheel now. Overall the new stance looks very nice with stock wheels and tires. It looks a little more aggressive but someone who didn't know better would have a tough time guessing if the car was lowered or not. They give an extremely nice ride but I was looking for them to be a little stiffer. The progressive rate of the springs is noteable over the stockers. You can definitely feel the progression as you press into the turn. I haven't given them a full workout yet because I want to take it easy as they need to settle and the car feels quite different. The springs do stiffen up and handle nicely once you are in mid-turn. The springs will not reduce a lot of initial body roll but will control excessive body roll under hard turning. I'll follow up when these things settle after about two weeks.

The Tokico blues are softer than I expected. There is a sure improvement over stock AAS (automatic adjusting suspension). The ride is smoother but not a whole lot stiffer. I no longer get the second bounce I used to get after going over bumps in the road with the AAS set on sport. The new setup takes the bump and then settles nicely. That part I enjoy. I'm a bit dissapointed with these in that they are not as aggressive as I had hoped. I'm guessing the stock AAS shocks and struts would have worked almost as well with the Eibachs. Anyway, they have been payed for and installed and they are going to stay there.

Eibach warned that the car would feel different. This is the first time I've dropped a car and it does take quite a bit of getting used to even with just my modest drop. After seeing the Eibachs, my opinion is that the Intrax springs would not be excessive and I wouldn't mind having them. I am happy with my springs though.

If you are interested in modest lowering, good handling and a smooth ride go ahead and get this setup. If you are looking for a solid performance upgrade I might suggest looking into the Intrax springs and some adjustable shocks and struts. The strut tower bar is key.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK, now that I've had this setup for a while I am quite happy with it. I do wish the shocks and struts were a little bit stiffer. I've gone ahead and put in the Addco anti-sway bar end link kits and I've done a factory power steering change suggested by anarchyx. If you haven't got the Addco endlinks yet, do it. They make all the difference in the world. Way less body roll and took care of the car begging for a stiffer rear anti-sway bar that I mentioned before. The two end link kits will cost you $30 at Pep Boys and you can install yourself. They are Addco part #'s 012U & 015U (front & rear). anarchyx told me about a power steering switch that allows you to increase or decrease the power assist of the steering sort of like how the AAS works (three settings). This is incredible and I have never seen this on a car before. Anyway, there is a black computer box under the driver's seat, close to the door. On the side of it is a little switch covered by a sticker. Pull up the sticker and change the setting to "high". This mod decreases the power assist of the steering and tightens up the steering response just a little. It's not much but it is very easy and totally free. Now my car can pretty much handle the turns as well as anything out there.

You guys were asking me for pics and I said I would try to get them at the NEPO NJ meet that I was going to. Well, I got some thanx to anarchyx. Check them out here. http://www.stealthlunchbox.com/thumbs.html
They are a little fuzzy and the car is not on a completely flat surface. I'm looking into a digital cam so I can get better pics. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
wow thanks for sending me this thread....;)
i think i buy this set.......instead of the Konis which i spoke about before....
but one Q. howmuch in cm's did your car drop.....
btw i like those pics......and the last one with the kit on it,was taken by my dealer here in Holland:D

Frank

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
i think i know now.......1.3" i read at Ak's site..
but again many thanks on the info....

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts