Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking off the crossmember I removed the six large bolts and found that it's still stuck on pretty good. There seems to be another 2 bolts that are covered or have caps possibly? Wondering what these are and how to remove. Thanks.

metros

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright nevermind...haha whacked it 4 times and it fell on my face:freak:

metros

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
:lol: i did that too if it makes you feel any better.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It didn't hit MY face :p
I recently did mine...I don't have a time estimate though because I lost light one day and it rained like 6 days in a row after that
(Metros, I am in NY)
I did not remove the radiator, or the Intake Manifold...
I found the REAR easier to work on than the front...lol
You may have an issue with the EGR nuts being stuck...let me know if you need help with anything...

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer agiatrix. Actually I have to agree about the working on the rear thing. I thought that was gonna be the worst but I worked from the top and then removed the y-pipe to get at the bottom. The front had crazy angles that took some time but with the swivel socket thing were doable. It definetly took me alot longer than anticipated but I've got the majority of everything done. I took my time and made sure I was like doing it right which to me is more important than doing it fast (I DO NOT want to be having to go through this again anytime soon). The EGR nuts were probably the hardest to get off just because the space is so limited but after spraying it a few times with PB blaster and letting it soak while I worked on the front they eventually came out. The cat nuts were the absolute worst. Took my whole body shaking and cramping up just to bust them free and that was after soaking them with pb blaster for a good while. Again appreciate the offer but I think I've got this pretty much tied up. Just gotta double check everything tomorrow and fire her up. I'm exctatic:jump:

metros

(edit) I also took a few pics that will get thrown up here eventually. I may do a short write up because nothing like that exists yet.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished wrestling the y-pipe into place yesterday morning and I'm very pleased with the overall product fitment. I had to modify my fan cover on the front very slightly but they fit pretty good for an aftermarket product. These get my butt dyno approval :tup:. Agiatrix what brand did you go with?

metros

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
metros said:
Agiatrix what brand did you go with?

metros
I have Hotshot headers, in my opinion they fit near perfect, the only issue was that the flange holes(on the y pipe) were not wide enough for the stock cat ...so I had to remove the stock cat and hammer the Y pipe down on it so it could force fit...
And my borla hangs low now...hard to explain, but the culprit is the stock cat
Due to that, I am getting a very minor exhaust leak, but I don't care because I plan to remove my stock cat anyway.- got me a catco- just need to get flanges welded ...and I also may get a test pipe to switch things up if I want

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was kinda a tough fit for me at the cat as well. Seemed like the bolts wouldn't quite fit. I got just a little of the bolt through and put a nut on each of the manifold to y-pipe connections then threaded the nuts onto the cat connection and just tightened them down to squeeze the gap. I feel like I've gone through a battle. Never been so sore from working on my car. I think I'm gettin old:muhaha: .

metros

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Hey metros, what kind of headers did you install?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Do you have the number i could reach the ss autochrome i need to get the downpipe gaskets for mine .

Reactions: hotrodmx666

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought mine directly from ebay. But I believe the gaskets are the same size as stock. Then you could get them from a local autoparts store for a few bucks. Probably easier and faster to do this.

metros

1 - 12 of 12 Posts