Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day a friend of mine comes over with his new 300 ZX and asks if i wanna race. First let me say that this was not a TT (i wouldnt of thought about racing if it was) Anyways we head off to my towns little illegal drag strip. When we get there some friends are already draggin and when we show up everyone was like oh man the crap is about to hit the fan cause everyone knew that we were both real fast. So as we line up and are getting ready to take off i hear him revin up his car ( i have no idea that im supposed to rev mine up so that i can start out at a higher rpm, like i said it was my first time racing) So the hat drops and we are off. Automatically his is at least a car length ahead of me since i started off at like 1500 rpm (stupid me) but as we start flyin down the strip i started to catch up with him. By the time we finished the 1/4 mile i was less than half a car length behind him. I was surprised as hell cause i thought that my bone stock MX would get eatin alive against his V6. When we were finished and lettin our cars cool down i started askin him why the race was so close. I really thought he would rip me a new one. Come to find out that he thinks his exhaust is the pimp sheeit but i really think that it was his demise. He has hedders with 2.5 inch exhaust with no cat and straight through mufflers. So im thinkin that he has no back pressure at all. what do you guys think? Anyways i just wanted to let everyone know that i could of beaten this 300 ZX if i knew what the hell i was doin. Anyone got any real good tips on how to start out and shift my car to its fullest potential? now im rambling so im gonna shut up! :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Man, if the turbo in your GT is working right, tach it up to about 3250 rpms or more-how brave are you?(Rev your motor until the tack is just past the "3" on the RPM guage-just in case you don't already know that), and release the clutch, "feather" it to minimize tire spin--but don't let the clutch slip much. This does take a little practice. Once you are going, don't go much past 5000 rpms--as the real power (in our cars) is somewhere between about 3700 to about 5000rpms, give or take. Shift to the next gear, follow the same rules (except you won't need to feather the clutch any more). I generally don't hit 5500rpms max. But that is just me, I like to be "conservative".

Now I don't know if you can beat a 300Z (if it is in good shape), but this is just how I take off fast--it is pretty effective. You need to practice.

Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont get me wrong most 300Z would smoke me. I know this. But this guys 300Z which is in decent shape doesnt have much balls to it. After the race i let him drive my car and he even admitted that my car was about as fast as his. Im not tryin to blow smoke up anyones ass here. Just against this particular 300Z i could have beat him with a better start. I just wanted to make it clear that im not BSing.

Thanks for the advice jiffy ill have to try that next time i race someone!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I didn't think you were BSing. Now if you would have said it was a twin turbo, THEN you'd be BSing. A friend of mine's father owns one (I'm drooling), with a few mods. That car is BAD A$$! (and it is also meticulously cared for)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've never raced a new Z (non-turbo), but a friend had an '86 N/A with a rebuilt engine and in as good shape as any car that old and he was easy to beat. Now he's traded in for a '95 (?) Twin Turbo Z and it's his turn to laugh, that is a really nice car. Anyway, good luck and if you turn up your boost you should be able to take him.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
what year was the ZX?

my friend has a 90 ZX and has been on my ass for sometime to race him... if the one you raced was around 1988 - 1990 i might give it a chance.. BTW its been nice to finally hear a kill story involving a moderate car and none of those Z28's or ZXTT along with a real outcome... keep it up!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the life of me i cant remember what year his car is. Ill have to ask next time i see him. Ill let you guys know how it turns out next time i race him. Hopefully next time i race him ill have my new exhaust. Thanks for the comments and thanks again jiffy. I used your advice on a solo run of mine and i could really tell a difference in my acceleration. Hopefully with time and practice ill get even better!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
No prob. Practice makes perfect, know your car, learn where the power in the RPM range begins, and ends.

Be Careful bro.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I belive it, without the Turbo the Z is a little overweight. A kid at school has a non-turbo automatic. Its the last generation but I dont know how old. Anyway one day I got lined up with him and raced a little bit. He got a jump on the launch so he had half a car all the to sixty. Which is when I backed off because we happend to be passing in front of a police station. I was really suprised that I had kept up but I am pretty sure that after that he might have started to pull away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts