Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, today i embark on a journey, i have never really done a lot of mechanical work on my 6 outside of oil changes, i am a body man and am always worried i'll screw something up if i dig into my engine. Put i have my trusty Haynes Manual and I am going to try and remove my lifters, clean them then put them back in. Here's hoping, has anyone actually done this them sleves, what is the didfficulty? based on the manual it seems like just taking of some bolts and pulling them out.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
u'll have to remove ur cams to get to the lifters. if ur mechanical experience is just limited to oil changes this is going to be pretty far up on the difficulty scale for u. for me i'd say it's not very difficult, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have read about people doing this on ProbeTalk. One guy, who sounded quite experienced, said he wished he had just left them in place and done an engine flush instead (with autoRX, or atx fluid, or something). Same result, and a lot easier.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i already started, so it's a little late to quit now, got the cams and lifters out now i just have to clean them, is there anything else i should do while i've got it torn apart? honestly it came apart fairly easy, as they always do, it's the reassembly i'm worried about, so many things can go wrong, i guess i'll just have faith in myself. I've been taking pics, so i will lpost a write-up how to when i'm done.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
timing belt and tensioner r&r. water pump. pay attention to ur tightening sequences. and be careful when timing the engine.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i marked the belt and the pulleys, so hopefully i can line them back up. I just had my timing belt replaced about a hundred miles ago so that should be fine.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just read almost that entire post, a lot of good info, unfortunately not one of the pictures is still hosted, so i can't actually see if i'm doing it right, i will be reassembling tomorrow, i'll let all of you know.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
^ i used to have the doc saved to my computer, but it crashed and i had to start over..

but i know it by heart, i have a spare motor thats half torn apart.., i should retake the pics sometime

once you start taking it apart, you will figure it out..

Heres a tip, take all the hlas out (label them by numbers and letters, by writing on the top of them with a pernament marker, then make a sketch on paper where those numbers and letters go in each head) This isnt really needed, they all can be put in any order you really please, but some people prefer to put them in the same way they came out.
Also lay out a white towel or rag out on the table that you can work on, The parts are pretty small and the spring and small metal ball are easy to lose. the white towel will help you keep track of those parts since they will be more visible.
They also usually have some cruddy oil inside, so be prepard for a little oil spill.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, here's my question, i got the part directly under the cam out, just a little metal cylinder, is that the entire lifter or is the spring still in the hole part of it too> and if it is, how do i get it out, i just used a magnet like the manual said to get the other part out.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Why not just replace the lifter, since you already got them out?:ewink:

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
because there expensive, since you have 24, and there like 11 a peice.. thats 264 for new reman lifters. and his lifters are fine, just dirty.

Kansas,

On the bottom of the lifter, theres a center contact spot that rest on the valve, That center peice needs to be pulled out of the lifter housing (cylinder shapped thing) using a pliars. That center peice is 2 peices, the rest pulls apart by hand. Inside those 2 peices are the spring and ball. The spring is a littler smaller then a spring you will find in a pen. the ball is a little smaller then a bb pellet. very easy to loose.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, well i tried pulling out the center, i can definitely tell there's a spring there, but for the life of me i can't get it to come out! i tried and tried and tried but my pliars slip or give up every time, like the damn things are welded in! not really but i can't get them out for the life of me, any ideas on how to free them up?

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, i still can't get the center piece out, is just letting all the lifters soak in kerosene overnight going to do enough to quiet them, or do i HAVE to get them apart, i don't know what the problem is, they will not come out for the life of me!

·
Registered
800 Posts
You have to disassemble them or replace them, otherwise you've wasted your time. Take them to a machine shop.:ewink:

·
Registered
776 Posts
You can soak them in gas/kero and take them apart or "squat" them a few times while submerged in oil after they've soaked. You don't HAVE to take them apart, but since they're already out of the car it would seem a waste to have to put them back in knowing you couldn't get into them. You must not have a good set of pliers, I had no problems with the ones I cleaned a few weeks ago.

If soaking in gas/kero you'd have to take them apart to make sure you got all of the gas out of there to get only oil in them.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
94MX6pilot audio master said:
You have to disassemble them or replace them, otherwise you've wasted your time. Take them to a machine shop.:ewink:
have you ever done this before?

You dont need to replace them, replacing them is not even a topic unless there collapsed aka junk.

You cannot squat them since there under pressure, simply pushing in the center peice is almost impossibly with out a vise,

Soaking them in kero wont do anything. You need to get them apart, or you wasted your time. Try this, there is a very tiny hole in the side of the lifter, take a pin and poke it, see if any oil will come out, that may relieve some pressure.

If this doesnt work, you need better tools. I planted a needle nose vise grip on mine and i was able to get them out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts