Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody still out there?
Back after a long break and still trying to keep the wife's pride and joy running. I'm now retired to the MX6 doesn't get much of an outing as the 6 is usually at the front of the garage so does most of the run a-rounds.
The Gen2 is thirty years old next year and is starting to show its age, the list of woes goes like this.

Would just stop, if you waited for a while it would restart. Put this down to the usual coil overheating in the dizzy problem and replaced the coil and all seemed OK.
Charge light came on at half brightness along with other random warning lights. Checked the system voltage and alternator not charging so swapped it for a brand new one. Everything seemed OK and even seemed to be idling more evenly.
Now a flashing hold light for the ATX keeps coming on intermittently, however the ATX seems to be working normally.
I've checked the fluid level and thats OK.

Anybody got any ideas where to start looking and can anybody recommend a decent MX6 workshop on the northside of Bris?

Cheers, Phil.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The flashing hold light is giving codes for the transmission, the same as the CEL does for the engine. Have you checked to see what codes it is giving ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flashing hold light is giving codes for the transmission, the same as the CEL does for the engine. Have you checked to see what codes it is giving ?
Hi Goodbar, I know how to read engine codes, where and how do you read gearbox codes?

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it is OBI, the same box used to get the engine code will give the transmission code. If you don't see how to connect the paper clip to do the transmission code, I will send that information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is OBI, the same box used to get the engine code will give the transmission code. If you don't see how to connect the paper clip to do the transmission code, I will send that information.
Hi again,
I'm getting an 04 code at the OBD1 port which tells me that the cam angle/ crankshaft angle has issues. Pulled the dizzy apart yet again, cleaned the sensor and now the Hold light has stopped flashing at me. But can I trust it?

My car is an early Aust. release model and I have found a few things that arn't quite standard as the later cars. I have a suspicion that the Hold light flashes regardless if is an engine or transmission code. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Phil.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The experience with my 1994 v6 is the CEL only gives engine codes and the HOLD flashing only gives transmission codes. Sometimes the cam position sensor for sensor by the crankshaft has given engine codes. If I check the wire connections, it usually is okay. If not it is fairly easy and inexpensive to put in a new sensor.

Another issue that can cause the HOLD light to come on (intermittently )is if the car motor mounts are worn out. If the engine is not tightly secured, for some reason that causes this. Especially the rear motor mount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Goodbar,
A month on and I'm still getting the intermittent flashing hold light. Sometimes it goes into limp home mode, sometimes it doesn't. ,Sometimes it restarts straight away and the hold light resets sometimes you have to wait 10 min before it goes again. could you please PM me how to read the ATM codes?
Thanks, Phil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts