Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

flickering lights and battery probs

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mx-6 LS 
#1 ·
is the flickering of the headlights putting an incredible(spellling) strain on the altinator? my buddys altinator went out ...he had a system and pounded intil his blew...is this something to worry about.
later
lemongopher

G
#3 ·
YES!
This is something to worry about. If you are having trouble with the interior lights or head light dimming you are drawing to much power for your alt to compensate for. This can eventualy burn out your alt.
What kinda subs do you use? If you do something as simple as put in a compacitor it can help the whole system.
Im sure i have more equipment in my mx than anyone else here and im still running a stock alt. Just need to keep the power regulated. If a compacitor does not help get a stronger alt.

#4 ·
how much is that compacitor .....i have 2 10" pioneerIMPP subs with a kenwood 600watt amp running them....is the high performance alt. a good idea......i really dont want to blow anything up ....do you have a price on this stuff..

thanks a lot..
later
lemongopher

G
#5 ·
Im using a 1 unit cap and its running power to a KickerZR600 and im driving 2 12in L7 subs. I paid alot for that kind of set up. Im running $13,000.00 dollars worth of stereo equip off my original alt. Do you have a cap? How many miles are on the alt you have? How old is your battery?

#6 ·
First question before you start putting in capacitors or alternators. What size power cable are you using?

From the sounds of it you are running the Kenwood KAC728 amp which needs to have an 8-ga power line run for it. If you are running more than just that one amp then you should have a 4-ga line run fromt eh battery back. Also if your battery is really old or just in bad condition replace it with a good battery. Then if you still dim the head lights when the system bass hits add a 1 farad capacitor and it should solve any problems. Like HD said you don't need to upgrade the alternator unless you relaly have a ton of equipment and are pushing the bass at it's limits all the time or are in dBdrag competitions.

#8 ·
hehehe....I should have invested some money in a capacitor...but since I'm an idiot I over looked that...so I heard to learn the hardway....I blew an alternator and had to get a new battery...all that crap costed 500 and 50 smacks...isn't it great?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.