Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unorthodox prices...?

holy smokes, a lighter flywheel from unorthodox goes for $575! I had no idea they were almost twice the price of a clutch. Are they that worth it?? I got an ACT Stage II (?) Street clutch on order and was looking at flywheels since I'm at 115k.
hr

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: Unorthodox prices...?

DedlineNJ said:
holy smokes, a lighter flywheel from unorthodox goes for $575! I had no idea they were almost twice the price of a clutch. Are they that worth it?? I got an ACT Stage II (?) Street clutch on order and was looking at flywheels since I'm at 115k.
hr
Personally, I don't think it's worth the bucks. When my clutch needs doing, I'll try to find the flywheel from a KL08 (the V6 found in the MX3 GS). This one was 3-lbs lighter (IIRC) - at 18 pounds - than the 21-pound flywheel in the KL03. I think I'll have it milled to 14 or 15 pounds and leave it at that.

That's an almost 30% reduction in rotating mass, which should help throttle response and not afect in-town driveability too much.

IMHO.

G

·
Flywheel info

Hey everyone,

This is a great question... starting to think about the same mod myself. I've heard that the MX-3V6 flywheel is 16lbs. Corksport sells a lightened flywheel for $525. Found a cheaper one at SP Motorsports for $375 at http://www.spmotorsports.com/probedriveline.html#flywheel

Aside from costs, can others out there also talk about their experience with lightened flywheels. Are the machined-down MX-3 flywheels not in danger of developing cracks? Anyone have instuctions on how to, and where to, get a stock flywheel machined. For folks with the aluminum flywheels, how have you liked it and does the price difference I cited above (between brands) make a difference in quality or longevity. What clutch would you use with any of these flywheel alternatives? One of the many aftermarket one available or go with a Mazdaspeed clutch or get a clutch off of a KL-ZE equiped car (wouldn't a KL-ZE have a nice, easy clutch pedal, but more load capacity to handle the stronger engine?)

Don't mean to overrun this thread, but I think that these would be considerations for anyone looking to lighten their flywheel.

Regards,
Alex (96626ES)
(BTW, Alex's 96 626 is my car on Corksport)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hm, they have a used mx6 6 cyl MT one for $40?? man, that's cheap, how much is it to get one milled? Can any machine shop do it?

hr

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stock 626/MX6/PGT flywheel 22lbs.
Stock Mx-3 flywheel 18lbs can be lightened safely to 13.5lbs.

I got my mx-3 flywheel from the wreckers for about $35US. I found a local balancing shop that does machining. They got the specs from a local race shop and got it down to 13.5lbs safely. Make sure they know what they're doing or else they may end up weakening the flywheel. It's important that you get it balanced and resurfaced. Total cost for machining, balancing and resurfacing $90US.

Impressions: the engine is very throttle sensitive now. Blip the throttle and the engine goes racing to redline. Release the clutch while cruising, with no throttle and the engine drops like a rock. Shifting must be a bit more precise as the combination of aftermarket clutch and lightented flywheel can easily cause you to stall. Driveability is within tolerance but driving pleasure is through the roof. If you want your car to feel like a real sports car, go LFW and clutch. Combine it with a STS and driving fun factor is 10x. More noticeable than any NA power mod you can think of. (*note: I also have a UDP)

The stock clutch can barely handle the stock power so doing your clutch is always a good move, especially if you plan on adding power. This makes a LFW a logical complimentary upgrade.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well for $130 ($40 for flywheel at my place, $90 for machining at someplace decent), I'd say that is a very cost effective mod. The flywheel I'm planning on buying is off a MX-6 manual V6 with 100K on it. I'm cutting it down anyway,right? that ok? Thanks all for the advice. I think I want to LFW to 15lbs to save some driveability. Once again, this board comes through for me...
hr

G

·
DedlineNJ said:
The flywheel I'm planning on buying is off a MX-6 manual V6 with 100K on it.
You want the Fw off a mx3 1.8v6 kl-08. The difference between the -08 and -03 FW is the thick mass that is added to the -03's outer 1.5".

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops

sorry, my mistake, in my two previous posts here I meant the MX 3 flywheel. I'll look around locally for one to see if I save shipping, otherwise I'll do the mail order thing from kerodgersmazda.com or mazdarecycling.com or somewhere else. Thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
interesting....

i think i might look into this also. great post, and replies.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
140 Posts
yo dont forget about reliability. I had an 8lbs unorthodox flyweel on my 89crx and it was worped by 10,000 miles. The damn thing cost me $600, not to mention the $400 cluch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts