Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that the stock 626 flywheel weighs alot more than the mx6, im not sure of the weight but i know there's a big difference. Question is, will the flywheel of the mx6(93-97)
fit fine on the 626(93-97). I've heard of reducing the wheel but i woudn't know where to take it to get it reduced.
If anyone knows the weight difference, please post it.

Mazda's.......make that biotch fly!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm about 99% sure that the flywheel is the same in both the MX-6 and the 626. My shop manual is for both vehicles and it doesn't list anyy differences fro the two cars. It doesn't even list a difference between the KL and FS engines. On the other hand I know for a fact that the flywheel out of an MX-3 is lighter than that out of an MX-6. The MX-6 is 22 lbs. while the MX-3 is 16 lbs. Both can be machined down by and competent machine shop to about 13.4-14 lbs., but you might just be best to have the MX-3 one put in and save a lot of expense at the machine shop.

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
I'm just wondering, what is the main noticeable difference in changing the flywheel. Does it make the car faster? I was told it makes the car harder to drive, until you get use to the rpms dropping so fast. Anyways, thanks!

bj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the ultralight allum. flywheel for the mx6, bad side is they want $675 for it. It's only ten pounds. The price is to much, if any one has the weight of their fly wheel post it please. I rather go to the junkyard and machine one up. (93-97)

·
Registered
283 Posts
look in the for sale section for fidanza flywheel for about 300 clams. i personally think 10 lbs is too light and will put added stress to the engine and drivetrains. the mx3 flywheel is just about as light as you would want for optimum streetability.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
added stress? no more than punching it to the floor... paeco makes a 6.5lb flywheel for our car... now that is too light for the street...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts