Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

So i want to start a project with some OEM Aspec Foglights.

Its simple enough really...

I have the nokya Yellow's in there right now... but they seem REALLY dim.... and well thats just not cool.

i want to make the fog lights more functional...

I've searched and searched to see if i can find what i'm looking for... but no luck...

I've heard a couple times that there is a mod that can be done to put a yellow filter in there... but i can't for the life of me find any info on it... i'm thinking of taking out the little bugger that restricts the light and possibly doing the mirror thing. And ultimatly i might end up switching to HID's...

but what i want to start with is the yellow filter... does anyone have and info on this or any ideas??

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I want to do something with my fogs as well... I got a spare set actually I bought them a value village for 5 bux!!! hahaha :D

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Fog modding is pretty easy. As for yellow filters, just buy yellow bulbs.

remove the fogs
wet sand them so they are clear again (go from 400 to 2000 grit sandpaper)
use some meguiar's plastx on them to make them even clearer (and remove a slight haze from the high grit paper)
remove the bulbs
bake them in an oven at no more than 150 degrees for about 10-15 minutes (until the glue holding the lens on gets soft enough to release the lens)
pull off the plastic lens of the fog light
use a screwdriver to remove the glare shields on the fogs (you will see hot to do it, it is extremely easy)
warm the lenses back up
press them back onto the fog housing
reinstall the fogs onto the car
enjoy your bright new fogs

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have HIDs in my fogs and theyre crazy bright ! If u dont mind blinding people from the road glare they look great. Youre gonna need separate wiring (like an aftermarket harness) since iirc the stock draw of the fog light system is 35w, only enough for 1 ballast. I have some pics if u want to see them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fog modding is pretty easy. As for yellow filters, just buy yellow bulbs.

remove the fogs
wet sand them so they are clear again (go from 400 to 2000 grit sandpaper)
use some meguiar's plastx on them to make them even clearer (and remove a slight haze from the high grit paper)
remove the bulbs
bake them in an oven at no more than 150 degrees for about 10-15 minutes [mangina]il the glue holding the lens on gets soft enough to release the lens)
pull off the plastic lens of the fog light
use a screwdriver to remove the glare shields on the fogs (you will see hot to do it, it is extremely easy)
warm the lenses back up
press them back onto the fog housing
reinstall the fogs onto the car
enjoy your bright new fogs

wow... stupid easy.... yea i've got the bulbs already.
it will be ok to do the sanding first... then bake them?? or should i do it the other way around?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have HIDs in my fogs and theyre crazy bright ! If u dont mind blinding people from the road glare they look great. Youre gonna need separate wiring (like an aftermarket harness) since iirc the stock draw of the fog light system is 35w, only enough for 1 ballast. I have some pics if u want to see them.
yea thats exactly what i'm thinking...
could i grab some pics?? i don't mind wiring... but some pics would definatly help in the right direction... thanks

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
wow... stupid easy.... yea i've got the bulbs already.
it will be ok to do the sanding first... then bake them?? or should i do it the other way around?
It doesn't matter really. If you sand them and then bake them the oven isn't hot enough to do any damage anyway. You're only melting the glue that holds the lens to the housing. If you melt the lens I think your oven is a little too hot. ;)

Before and after my little fog project.

·
Registered
954 Posts
here ya go, they're not the best quality (camera phone sux)

just fogs

low beams & fogs

ground spread and reflection

a little brighter pic

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It doesn't matter really. If you sand them and then bake them the oven isn't hot enough to do any damage anyway. You're only melting the glue that holds the lens to the housing. If you melt the lens I think your oven is a little too hot. ;)
well it is a new oven... lol... i hope i can figure it out... ... :jump:

and wow... what a difference... thanks.... that's one clean front end

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here ya go, they're not the best quality (camera phone sux)

Nice... yep... its decided, i'm doing that... lol.. after i clean them up and whatnot...
I like that with the jspecs... i need to get my hands on some especs... i think thats the way i want to go

Thanks

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nice... yep... its decided, i'm doing that... lol.. after i clean them up and whatnot...
I like that with the jspecs... i need to get my hands on some especs... i think thats the way i want to go

Thanks
NP, especs are the best IMO, if u get the right kind u won't have to deal with the reverse cutoff....

for my fogs i just got an aftermarket fog light wiring harness and used a spare 3000k kit i had laying around. good luck !

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NP, especs are the best IMO, if u get the right kind u won't have to deal with the reverse cutoff....

for my fogs i just got an aftermarket fog light wiring harness and used a spare 3000k kit i had laying around. good luck !

yea i've been comparing them... i want to do it as a project in the spring... and i like the espec's.... and i've got a bunch of extra foglight wiring laying around... shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again... BIG UPS... and MUCH KARMA

·
Registered
954 Posts
yea i've been comparing them... i want to do it as a project in the spring... and i like the espec's.... and i've got a bunch of extra foglight wiring laying around... shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again... BIG UPS... and MUCH KARMA
thanks for the karma, yeah it's a pretty straightforward install--you might have to bore out the hole to the fog light housing to fit the HID wire connectors through (i'm gonna end up under my car in the next few days i'll post pix if u wanna know what i'm talking about)

Chef, did u wetsand ur headlights too ? the fogs look uber clean

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it necessary to reseal them after opening (with silicone), or does the old sealant work fine?
BTW, thanks for suggestion. The factory setup is so dim they are useless.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...you might have to bore out the hole to the fog light housing to fit the HID wire connectors through (i'm gonna end up under my car in the next few days i'll post pix if u wanna know what i'm talking about)

hey, if you could do that, i would really appreciate it. I'm sure its simple. But i'd like to see it completed.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Any chance you can do a writeup with pictures? I would be grateful since I was kind of planning on doing HID fogs sometime anyway. :cool:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts