Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have camber kits on your MX6? I have coil overs and I need them bad, however, I'm wondering how they are installed because the rear struts don't have that much roon in the trunk. I'm basically wondering how they are installed. Whether they are installed on the inside of the car or down from the outside of the strut. Or if they replace the top strut mount with the 4 bolts in it or what...

Also, I seen a camber kit on carparts.com for like $10 a pair or so.. I can't seem to find it any more. Anyone know the part number or have any info on this?

Thanks all..

[Edited by JPMX6GT on 01-13-2001 at 02:19 PM]

G

·
i have camber kits on mine, with my eibachs. the camber kit that i got actually replaces one of the bolts on the bottom of your strut assembly. it has basically a little hump in it so that it changes the angle your tires are at. when i put my eibachs on, the camber on my front tires went to a little over -2.0 degrees, so i got the cambers on and put it up to -1.4. i figured id leave it a little negative for handling purposes. i just bought a new set of tires and they seem to be wearing just fine. other that that, i dont know where to get em. i just bought mine from my local alignment/steering/CV shop for $25 a pair...

G

·
I have the same thing as HKSmx6 has. Unfortunately the guys who installed it set it back to stock so when I got my new rims they scrape all over the lip. Does anyone know what the stock camber is? I though it was -1.0 but I'm not sure.

G

·
im not sure, but i know the max recommended in the manual is -1.5 for the front and pretty much even in the back. im sure the stock camber is a little negative but i dont know what it is. i would guess -.5 to -1...something like that.

G

·
camber is the amount your tires tilt. say your tire is perfectly perpendicular to the ground, then the top and bottom of the wheel are even with each other. say then, from that position, you adjusted your camber to -2.0 degrees. that means that instead of being at a 90 degree angle to the ground they are now at 88 degrees, so the bottom of the wheel would be slightly farther out that the top. this way the wheel rests on the ground unevenly, and if its too uneven then you will get uneven tire wear. your tires will wear out alot faster on the inside than the out.
i hope i explained alright....anyway, camber kits will correct the amout of camber on your tires. when u lower the car it will change the angle of camber, and in most cases will make it too far negative, so u get a camber kit to get the camber back to normal and save your tires!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ahhh...That explains alot. Shouldn't the car be made so you can adjust the camber without a kit?

G

·
i think to a limited extent it can be changed, but since the auto makers dont make cars with the idea that you'll lower them, they dont make the camber extremely adjustable.

G

·
This is Weird....

Really, you all are having that much of problems with your ground control?? I have Ground Control on my car and i dont have a problem at all with my tires tilting...hmmm, wierd...peace.
-krazy

G

·
let me clarify, camber is not a bad thing, it will help with control in corners...too much camber will wear your tires really fast on the inside. krazy, i bet if you got you're camber checked you'll be on the very negative side, you probably can't see the tilt because it is on a very small scale, i.e. 2- 3 degrees maybe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I lowered my car, my front tires were toeing out REAL BAD. But after getting a 4-wheel alignment at sears, my tire wear is completely normal. That was about two years ago. I have the GC's at the lowest setting...FYI

1 - 12 of 12 Posts